Issue with 64x32 RGB LED Matrix - Horizontal Striping

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rob0806

Issue with 64x32 RGB LED Matrix - Horizontal Striping

Post by Rob0806 »

Hardware:
  • 64x32 RGB LED Matrix - 5mm pitch [ID:2277]
  • Adafruit Matrix Portal - CircuitPython Powered Internet Display [ID:4745]
Order Confirmation Number: 3043042-8781838293

From the very first boot-up of my new 64x32 RGB LED Matrix, there have been extraneous LEDs lighting up in large horizontal swaths. The bands seem to move slightly with the animations and don't appear to be static pixels that are malfunctioning. They generally appear to be concentrated near the middle of the left side of the matrix.

I have tried three different power sources and the problem is the same for all three:
  • USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C PC port
  • USB Type-C 20W wall fast charger
  • USB Type-C 25W wall superfast charger
The very first demo routine (red sand) has artifacts that make many of the scrolling animated characters unreadable. When loading up a DC Metro routine (https://github.com/metro-sign/dc-metro) there is a significant amount of noise while loading, but then a seemingly random amount of noise when displaying the actual cars and times. I have also tried the "Halloween eyes" demo and have similar issues. I have linked two videos and embedded several pictures below to help diagnose the problem. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Red sand boot-up: https://youtu.be/nY2oNAIWRRY
DC Metro boot up: https://youtu.be/4VXld3RLvpA
RedSandDemo_StartScreen.jpg
RedSandDemo_StartScreen.jpg (92.92 KiB) Viewed 79 times
RedSandDemo_Sand.jpg
RedSandDemo_Sand.jpg (94.48 KiB) Viewed 79 times
DCMetro_Stripes.jpg
DCMetro_Stripes.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 79 times

mikeysklar

Re: Issue with 64x32 RGB LED Matrix - Horizontal Striping

Post by mikeysklar »

This looks like a power issue.

Your power supplies sound fine, but I would question the USB-C cable. Do you have the specs on it?

Rob0806

Post by Rob0806 »

Thanks for the response - I would not have guessed that it was a power issue!

I originally used a unique cable with each plug. As I looked up the specs of each cable I tried a few different configurations to see if there was a noticeable difference. There does seem to be less interreference with the shortest Samsung cable & fast-charger; It sounds like I might not be getting a consistent 4A to the LED Matrix.

USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C PC port
  • Cable: Samsung-brand 18-inch USB type C to C (originally for solid-state hard-drive)
  • Unclear from the website if the cable supports up to 4A
USB Type-C 20W wall fast charger
  • Cable: Samsung-brand 5ft USB Type C to C cable
  • charger listed as 3A on website
USB Type-C 25W wall superfast charger
  • Cable: Fasgear brand 5ft 100W USB type C to C 6ft
  • Supports 5 amps, but may be struggling due to the length
  • I see now that this outlet may be potentially capped at 3A

Looking back at the LED Matrix product page, there seems to be a recommended 5V regulated 4A power supply and screw terminal adapter that I didn't catch as I followed the original tutorial. I'll order both parts this weekend and see if it resolves the issue. Once I have the new power source hooked up I'll post an update here!

alphanumeric

Post by alphanumeric »

Using "Chargers" instead of a Power Supply can be an issue. Chargers don't always deliver a nice clean 5V. Just a FYI post.
I'm running two 64x32 LED matrixes, and using an Adafruit 5V 4A supply. I cut the barrel connector off and wired it up to the + - studs.

Rob0806

Post by Rob0806 »

Thanks all for the responses and recommendations; the power supply arrived in the mail this weekend and the LED matrix works perfectly. Lesson learned - I'll make sure to use proper power supplies and avoid chargers in the future!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”