Trinket M0 not recognized on boot, W7 64

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dkoh

Trinket M0 not recognized on boot, W7 64

Post by dkoh »

Hi all,
I have a problem where a Trinket M0 isn't recognized on boot on a Win7 64-bit machine. If I unplug/replug it it works fine, just not seen on boot. I used a couple drivers, including the drivers from adafruit (the green box that says "download the latest drivers" where you unplug and run the EXE). In device manager it still shows a little "caution" icon on CIRCUITPY Audio Device but it works fine. I have not found a way to get rid of the Caution.

I'm using this for a volume/mute knob and replugging every time you restart is a hassle. Even worse is I'm using this in a bartop arcade machine where it's shelled to not-windows so replugging (or mouse or k/b) is out of the question. No, I'm not having these problems in shelled-mode, I'm still playing with vanilla W7. I boot to the standard desktop, no volume control. Replug and it comes back no problem. Restart, no volume control again. I'd like this thing to be recognized just like a standard mouse on boot.

Is this a problem where the little Caution symbol isn't letting Win7 see it on startup, like it's not authorized? Is there a better driver? I wish I was back in the autoexec.bat and boot.ini days sometimes.

Any ideas?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Trinket M0 not recognized on boot, W7 64

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try adding some code that waits maybe 100ms, checks for a Serial connection, and executes NVIC_SystemReset() if it doesn't see one. That should be equivalent to unplugging and replugging.

dkoh

Post by dkoh »

Thank you, I'll try it out. I did play with devcon and it would remove, rescan, make the USB "du-DUN" noise, and the folder showed back up, but still no volume action. I tried on a second W7 machine and it worked perfectly after 3 consecutive restarts. I guess it's just the way Intel handles USB on this board.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yeah, in practice USB ends up being a combination of the specified behavior and the stylistic choices OS developers make when implementing the spec. You have to cope with both.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”