USB Breakout Board

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ryantollefson

USB Breakout Board

Post by ryantollefson »

I have a Circuit Playground Express embedded into an enclosure. I'm using the Adafruit USB Type C Breakout Board (4090) so that I have a plug accessible from the back of the enclosure.

This works just fine for power, but I can't figure out how to get data to work so I can reprogram the Circuit Playground Express when plugged into a computer.

I have a micro-usb cable plugged into the Circuit Playground Express, and the other side soldered to the breakout board (VBUS, GND, D+, D-). When I plug it into a computer I get power just fine, but the Circuit Playground Express isn't detected on the computer.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what.

Thanks.

dastels

Re: USB Breakout Board

Post by dastels »

USB C is a bit different due to the power and flexibility it brings. See https://learn.adafruit.com/understandin ... s-and-more for more information.

This would do the job, but might be too long: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4056

Dave

ryantollefson

Post by ryantollefson »

Thanks for the suggestion & the link, and that would probably work well under different circumstances...

Unfortunately, I was planning on going to another PCB first with plugs to power several inductive coils & a servo (I didn't want to run power for those through the Circuit Playground).

I've been trying to read & understand Microchip's Introduction to USB-C here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/a ... 01953a.pdf

As I understand it, the Adafruit breakout board I have (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4090) is configured as an Upstream Facing Port with 5.1K resistors on CC1 & CC2.

I thought this would work to just wire to the micro-usb port on the Circuit Playground, but apparently not. The best I can come up with is there is something about going back to the micro-USB port that makes it not work. That perhaps what I really need is a breakout board that acts more like a USB-C hub or a downstream facing port instead (think like a USB-C -> USB-A female cable). If this is the case, I might need to change to 22K pull-up resistors instead of the 5.1K pull-down that are on there now?

If I were to do that though, I'm not sure I could still get power out of it the same way?

dastels

Post by dastels »

I'll see if anyone else in support has some input.

Dave

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

post up some clear photos of your wiring. probably some soldering issue or D+ / D- are swapped

ryantollefson

Post by ryantollefson »

Thank you for the reply!

I can certainly redo the connections if needed, but I did trace everything from the breakout board back to the CPE, and I get continuity on Red, Black, Green, & White all the way through to the surface mount connectors on the CPE.

Maybe D+ & D- are swapped? I just stuck with the white/green color cables and assumed it was good.,
Attachments
CircuitPlayground.jpg
CircuitPlayground.jpg (955.28 KiB) Viewed 130 times
breadboard.jpg
breadboard.jpg (957.46 KiB) Viewed 130 times
breakout_board.jpg
breakout_board.jpg (936.43 KiB) Viewed 130 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

If the CPX is powering up then 5v & ground are good. Double check the D+ & D- connections. Wire color can be misleading so it's best to verify the connections with a meter.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”