Having trouble connecting to CPB on Win11 ...

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_carter

Re: Having trouble connecting to CPB on Win11 ...

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I am using linux.

neradoc

Post by neradoc »

Have you tried updating the bootloader ?

The simplest method is using the Arduino IDE, as explained in this guide, except choosing the correct board in the list:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide

We can take you through the steps on discord if needed.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

I have not attempted to update the bootloader but we were discussing that on Discord on Thursday and I believe the consensus was that wouldn't help. They also thought I already had the latest bootloader loaded. But I can try to reload it if you feel it may help. The problem appears to be associated with UF2s > 1M on Win11. I did go back to the last UF2 (7.3.3) that is < 1M and it appears to have installed correctly for me under Win11 and everything is working.
Last edited by sealyon on Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

neradoc

Post by neradoc »

The consensus is that it's most likely your issue (well ok the conversation went in many directions actually, too many cooks). I was also waiting for you to test it on linux.

The problem with UF2s above 1MB is precisely that the 0.2.x versions of the bootloader don't handle it well in some situations, which might include win11 (and MacOS Ventura).

Quoted from the same guide:
Older versions of the nRF52840 were shipped with a bootloader that does not handle large UF2's, and has other issues. To check whether you need to update the bootloader, double-click the reset button, and look in the NRF52BOOT drive for INFO_UF2.TXT. Inside that file, check the version number. It should be 0.6.1 or newer.
So at least, we should try updating.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

All I'm trying to do is properly install the latest CP version (8.0.5) on my CPB under Win11. I followed the installation steps provided and this is what I'm seeing. That's why I came here & Discord to get help on trying to resolve. I'm willing to do whatever is necessary. Up till now, all I was told to do is install a CP version < 1M, which is 7.3.3. I did that and it installed successfully and is working. If you want me to try something else, please give me the steps and I'll try.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Ok. My bootloader version is 0.2.11-8-g2c13fd5-dirty. So it appears it is < 0.6.1. What version should it have and how do I update it?

The bootloader update text you linked above isn't from the CPB guide, it's from the Feather version. I don't see any mention of this in the CPB guide. How would I know to look in any other guides?

Also, I just got this CPB a few days ago from Adafruit, why is the installed bootloader so old?
Last edited by sealyon on Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

neradoc

Post by neradoc »

These are the steps for the "easy" version, though configuring the Arduino IDE is on another page.
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide
  • Download the Arduino IDE
  • Install support for Adafruit boards following point 1 here (add one URL in the preferences)
  • Put the board in bootloader mode by double-clicking reset
  • In the tools menu: select Boards > Adafruit NRF52 > Adafruit Circuit Playground Bluefruit
  • In the tools menu: go to Port and select the port that says "COMxx (Adafruit Circuit Playground Bluefruit)"
  • In the tools menu: select Programmer > Bootloader DFU for Bluefruit nRF52
  • In the tools menu: select Burn Bootloader
After that you should see some text in the Arduino output console like this.

Code: Select all

Upgrading target on COM5 with DFU package /Users/*****/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/1.3.0/bootloader/circuitplayground_nrf52840/circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.6.2_s140_6.1.1.zip. Flow control is disabled, Dual bank, Touch 1200
Touched serial port COM5
Opened serial port COM5
Starting DFU upgrade of type 3, SoftDevice size: 151016, bootloader size: 39000, application size: 0
Sending DFU start packet
Sending DFU init packet
Sending firmware file
########################################
############
Activating new firmware

DFU upgrade took 20.747102975845337s
Device programmed.
Then the board will reboot and show up as CPLAYBTBOOT
You can then check that the INFO_UF2.TXT file contains a version like this (in this case 0.6.2, not to confuse with the SoftDecide and libraries versions)
UF2 Bootloader 0.6.2 lib/nrfx (v2.0.0) lib/tinyusb (0.10.1-293-gaf8e5a90) lib/uf2 (remotes/origin/configupdate-9-gadbb8c7)
Model: Adafruit Circuit Playground nRF52840
Board-ID: nRF52840-CircuitPlayground-revD
SoftDevice: S140 version 6.1.1
Date: Sep 10 2021
You can then drop the adafruit-circuitpython-circuitplayground_bluefruit-en_US-8.0.5.uf2 file onto the drive, it should install and reboot. CIRCUITPY should show up and the boot_out.txt file should then read:
Adafruit CircuitPython 8.0.5 on 2023-03-31; Adafruit Circuit Playground Bluefruit with nRF52840
Board ID:circuitplayground_bluefruit

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Ok. I'll try that and report back if there are any issues. Thanks.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Ok, that appears to have worked. The bootloader is now 0.6.2 and it appears to be running. Would have helped if someone just provided those steps to start with. But thanks for checking back and helping me to get this resolved.

You should also add that text passage you referenced above about this bootloader version problem to the CPB guide. And it seems odd that my CPB, which I just got from Adafruit a few days ago, would have come with such an old bootloader pre-installed. But again, thanks for your help.

neradoc

Post by neradoc »

Thank you for sticking through all of this !
So you confirm that it successfully updated to 8.0.5 under Windows 11 ?

The shipping firmware is rarely updated, it's part of the manufacturing process (installed by the testers like this), and since this problem is new for the CPB (Circuitpython being over 1MB is recent) and apparently only triggered on Win11, it hadn't been necessary until now.

I did forward the information, hopefully the default bootloader gets updated for future users.
And the CPB guide should at least get updated with the Bootloader Update page for users having the current version.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Ok. Thanks again for your help.

And yes, it all worked under Win11 and the CPB is correctly working and is showing 0.6.2 bootloader and CP 8.0.5.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Cool. Glad the bootloader update fixed this. This is one of those rare cases where a bootloader update was the actual fix. Just needed to work through other possible reasons for the issue before going there, esp. since it's a bit of effort to update the bootloader with the CPB.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”