Having trouble connecting to CPB on Win11 ...

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sealyon

Having trouble connecting to CPB on Win11 ...

Post by sealyon »

I'm trying to write some code for a new CPB and am not seeing the CIRCUITPY drive when I plug my board in (using Win11). When I plug in I do see the Neopixel sample code running with a green LED to the left of the USB and a flashing red LED to the right but no drive appears to mount. I am using a USB data cable. When I double-click the reset button I do see the CPLAYBTBOOT drive. And I downloaded the latest .UF2 file (8.0.5) and was able to copy that to the CPLAYBTBOOT drive and it reset. Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Having trouble connecting to CPB on Win11 ...

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The small green/red LEDs are not NeoPixels. The NeoPixels are the 10 square RGB LEDs arranged in a ring. Are those doing something when you say the Neopixel sample code is running?

What was the exact full name of the UF2 file you downloaded and copied to the CPLAYBTBOOT folder?

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

Yes, the neopixels are running through the rainbow effect.

adafruit-circuitpython-circuitplayground_bluefruit-en_US-8.0.5.uf2

adafruit_support_carter

Hmm. OK, that should be fine. Weird. It's acting like the CircuitPython firmware did not actually get copied over.

What are the contents of the INFO_UF2.TXT file found in the CPLAYBYBOOT folder?

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

UF2 Bootloader 0.2.11-8-g2c13fd5-dirty lib/nrfx (v1.1.0-1-g096e770) lib/tinyusb (legacy-755-g55874813) s140 6.1.1
Model: Adafruit Circuit Playground nRF52840
Board-ID: nRF52840-CircuitPlayground-revD
Date: Jul 13 2019

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. That also looks fine.

Just to be sure there wasn't something weird happening with the 8.0.5 release of CircuitPython, just tested here. It copied over and came up as expected on a Circuit Playground Bluefruit.

It could be some kind of 3rd party software interfering. Like antivirus or software backups. If you have access to another PC, try using that to copy the UF2. Or if you can, see if you can temporarily disable the 3rd party software.

Also check out the Learn guide page here that covers some known issues:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... leshooting

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

I don't have any antivirus software or backup software running at the moment. I don't have another windows machine but I could try to copy it over from a linux machine. I've already read through that learn guide (nothing jumped out at me as the possible problem).

Let me reboot my windows machine just in case.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, try the linux machine. That's actually what I'm running here locally for when I tested.

It'll also be easier to do some more lower level troubleshooting on the linux box. Can take a look at dmesg, etc.

EDIT: Another option may be to upgrade the bootloader. See bottom right of page here:
https://circuitpython.org/board/circuit ... bluefruit/
But let's try the linux box first. Updating bootloaders is sort of a last resort thing, since you *really* do not want to accidentally mess up the bootloader.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

The reboot didn't help. Still not seeing the CIRCUITPY drive.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

My other box is a Raspberry Pi 400 running raspian. Guessing that should still work. I'll try to copy the .UF2 with that.

adafruit_support_carter

Yep, the Pi 400 should generally work for this.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

But even if this works, it still doesn't explain why my Win11 machine isn't doing this correctly. I've never had any issues like this in the past.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

I've been chatting on Discord about this issue and it appears it has something to do with the 8.0.5 UF2 being > 1M. They suggested I try an earlier CP version that is < 1M. I copied the 7.3.3 UF2 to my CPB on Win11 and it works. I now get the CIRCUITPY drive mounted. So, is this just a Win11 problem? I haven't tried to download it from linux yet, but when I do should that work? And if so, will the drive get mounted properly when I bring it back to Win11?

adafruit_support_carter

OK, that sounds like it's at least explaining the underlying issue. What's weird is I'm testing with a CPB with the exact same bootloader release, here's my INFO_UF2.TXT:

Code: Select all

UF2 Bootloader 0.2.11-8-g2c13fd5-dirty lib/nrfx (v1.1.0-1-g096e770) lib/tinyusb (legacy-755-g55874813) s140 6.1.1
Model: Adafruit Circuit Playground nRF52840
Board-ID: nRF52840-CircuitPlayground-revD
Date: Jul 13 2019
However I am able to successfully copy over the 8.0.5 UF2 without issue. It shows up as over 1MB:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 user user 1054208 Apr  6 10:14 adafruit-circuitpython-circuitplayground_bluefruit-en_US-8.0.5.uf2
But copies fine and once copied I get a CIRCUITPY folder and can connect to REPL:

Auto-reload is on. Simply save files over USB to run them or enter REPL to disable.

Press any key to enter the REPL. Use CTRL-D to reload.

Adafruit CircuitPython 8.0.5 on 2023-03-31; Adafruit Circuit Playground Bluefruit with nRF52840
>>> print("hello")
hello
>>> import board
>>> dir(board)
['__class__', '__name__', 'A1', 'A2', 'A3', 'A4', 'A5', 'A6', 'A8', 'A9', 'ACCELEROMETER_INTERRUPT', 'ACCELEROMETER_SCL', 'ACCELEROMETER_SDA', 'AUDIO', 'BUTTON_A', 'BUTTON_B', 'D0', 'D1', 'D10', 'D12', 'D13', 'D2', 'D3', 'D35', 'D4', 'D5', 'D6', 'D7', 'D8', 'D9', 'I2C', 'L', 'LED', 'LIGHT', 'MICROPHONE_CLOCK', 'MICROPHONE_DATA', 'MISO', 'MOSI', 'NEOPIXEL', 'POWER_SWITCH', 'RX', 'SCK', 'SCL', 'SDA', 'SLIDE_SWITCH', 'SPEAKER', 'SPEAKER_ENABLE', 'SPI', 'TEMPERATURE', 'TX', 'UART', 'board_id']
>>> 

Let's see what happens when you try this on the Pi 400.

sealyon

Post by sealyon »

But you're not doing this on Win11, correct?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”