Bluefruit LE Sniffer (nRF51822) - Not displaying in Wireshark 4.0.4 (Windows 11)

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jasongendron

Bluefruit LE Sniffer (nRF51822) - Not displaying in Wireshark 4.0.4 (Windows 11)

Post by jasongendron »

Hi,

I have a Bluefruit LE Sniffer (Product ID: 2269) (Order 3045363-3618647992). I've followed all steps in the Introducing the Adafruit Bluefruit LE Sniffer guide, but I cannot get the device to display in Wireshark as a capture interface. I'm running the following software versions:
  • Windows 11 22H2
  • Wireshark v4.0.4
  • Silicon Labs VCP driver v6.7.6
  • Python v3.11.3 (with pyserial library installed)
  • nRF Sniffer Plugin v4.1.1
The CP2104 displays correctly in Device Manager (Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge) and has a COM port assigned. The Wireshark plugin also appears to be loading correctly, as I can view its toolbar by selecting (View > Interface Toolbars > nRF Sniffer for Bluetooth LE). I attempted to connect to the device via PuTTY (460800 baud, RTS/CTS flow control), but there is no data output. I also don't see any LED activity on the board, but not sure if that is expected.

In order to validate extcap plugin functionality, I ran (as admin):

Code: Select all

nrf_sniffer_ble.bat --extcap-interfaces
The output was as follows:

Code: Select all

extcap {version=4.1.1}{display=nRF Sniffer for Bluetooth LE}{help=https://www.nordicsemi.com/Software-and-Tools/Development-Tools/nRF-Sniffer-for-Bluetooth-LE}
control {number=0}{type=selector}{display=Device}{tooltip=Device list}
control {number=1}{type=selector}{display=Key}{tooltip=}
control {number=2}{type=string}{display=Value}{tooltip=6 digit passkey or 16 or 32 bytes encryption key in hexadecimal starting with '0x', big endian format.If the entered key is shorter than 16 or 32 bytes, it will be zero-padded in front'}{validation=\b^(([0-9]{6})|(0x[0-9a-fA-F]{1,64})|([0-9A-Fa-f]{2}[:-]){5}([0-9A-Fa-f]{2}) (public|random))$\b}
control {number=3}{type=string}{display=Adv Hop}{default=37,38,39}{tooltip=Advertising channel hop sequence. Change the order in which the sniffer switches advertising channels. Valid channels are 37, 38 and 39 separated by comma.}{validation=^\s*((37|38|39)\s*,\s*){0,2}(37|38|39){1}\s*$}{required=true}
control {number=7}{type=button}{display=Clear}{tooltop=Clear or remove device from Device list}
control {number=4}{type=button}{role=help}{display=Help}{tooltip=Access user guide (launches browser)}
control {number=5}{type=button}{role=restore}{display=Defaults}{tooltip=Resets the user interface and clears the log file}
control {number=6}{type=button}{role=logger}{display=Log}{tooltip=Log per interface}
value {control=0}{value= }{display=All advertising devices}{default=true}
value {control=0}{value=[00,00,00,00,00,00,0]}{display=Follow IRK}
value {control=1}{value=0}{display=Legacy Passkey}{default=true}
value {control=1}{value=1}{display=Legacy OOB data}
value {control=1}{value=2}{display=Legacy LTK}
value {control=1}{value=3}{display=SC LTK}
value {control=1}{value=4}{display=SC Private Key}
value {control=1}{value=5}{display=IRK}
value {control=1}{value=6}{display=Add LE address}
value {control=1}{value=7}{display=Follow LE address}
It appears that the device is not displaying in the extcap interfaces list. I tried reinstalling all related software and drivers, but I can't get it to show.

Thanks!
Jason

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Bluefruit LE Sniffer (nRF51822) - Not displaying in Wireshark 4.0.4 (Windows 11)

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Hey, sorry for the delay. Let's go ahead and just send a replacement to try out. If two do the same thing, we can look into this further. There are a lot of bits and pieces that have to all work together, but there's nothing obviously missing from what you've provided.

I'll let support know to send a replacement. You can also link them to this thread again in another email if you want.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”