Is Feather Huzzah32 compatible with LiIon batteries?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ivannson

Is Feather Huzzah32 compatible with LiIon batteries?

Post by ivannson »

This might be obvious but I just want to stay on the safe side here...

I want to use this LiIon battery (this one seems like the same one but in the UK) with ESP32 Feather however I'm not sure whether it's safe to do so. I'm confused because Adafruit's docs say "LiPo" everywhere on the product pages and throughout this power management guide, however they do mention LiIon once at the beginning:
You can also connect a 4.2/3.7V Lithium Polymer (LiPo/LiPoly) or Lithium Ion (LiIon) battery to the JST jack.
Which leads me to think that since the battery I linked is also 3.7V/4.2V it should be just fine.

However at the bottom in alternatice power options there is no mention of LiIon:
For mobile use, where you don't want a LiPoly, use a USB battery pack!
I have some very tight space constraints yet a relatively power hungry application. I previously used Arduino Nano with a 9V battery but moving to ESP32 for Bluetooth and WiFi + easy way to add rechargeable battery.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Is Feather Huzzah32 compatible with LiIon batteries?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

'LiPo' tends to be used as a catch-all term for Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer cells.

As long as the cell/battery you want to use has a nominal voltage of 3.7V and a full-charge voltage of 4.2V, it will be compatible with a Feather.

A 5V USB power pack will work, but is farther down the list of preferred options than plugging a 3.7V/4.2V LiPo into Feather's JST port.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”