Raytac MDBT50Q-RX not working with Wireshark

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
physhics

Raytac MDBT50Q-RX not working with Wireshark

Post by physhics »

Hello,

I am attempting to get this product to work as a BLE sniffer interface for Wireshark: nRF52840 USB Key with TinyUF2 Bootloader - Bluetooth Low Energy - MDBT50Q-RX (https://www.adafruit.com/product/5199).

I followed the instructions here (https://learn.adafruit.com/ble-sniffer-with-nrf52840), but it is not being shown in the Wireshark interface list. I confirmed the following:
  • UF2 bootloader version is 0.7.0 (please see the INFO_UF2.TXT attachment)
  • I see an "MDBT50QBOOT (F:)" drive listed when I press-and-hold the button while inserting the USB
  • Dragging and dropping "sniffer_nrf52840dongle_4.1.0.uf2 seems to work okay
Interestingly, I can see MDBT50Q-RX listed as "nRF Sniffer for Bluetooth LE" in nRF Connect Programmer (had this window open for a different project and played around with it while trying to get MDBT50Q-RX up and running). Please see the attachment "seen_in_nrf-connect.png".

Also noteworthy is that I am able to see the nRF52840 Dongle with sniffer FW flashed (https://www.nordicsemi.com/Products/Dev ... 840-dongle) listed as an interface and can sniff BLE traffic, so it seems the Wireshark extcap plugin was configured correctly. Please see the "wireshark_interface_list.png" attachment.

I've also ran the "python3 nrf_sniffer_ble.py --extcap-interfaces" command, and confirmed that MDBT50Q-RX is not seen as an interface:

Code: Select all

$ python3 nrf_sniffer_ble.py --extcap-interfaces
extcap {version=4.1.1}{display=nRF Sniffer for Bluetooth LE}{help=https://www.nordicsemi.com/Software-and-Tools/Development-Tools/nRF-Sniffer-for-Bluetooth-LE}
control {number=0}{type=selector}{display=Device}{tooltip=Device list}
control {number=1}{type=selector}{display=Key}{tooltip=}
control {number=2}{type=string}{display=Value}{tooltip=6 digit passkey or 16 or 32 bytes encryption key in hexadecimal starting with '0x', big endian format.If the entered key is shorter than 16 or 32 bytes, it will be zero-padded in front'}{validation=\b^(([0-9]{6})|(0x[0-9a-fA-F]{1,64})|([0-9A-Fa-f]{2}[:-]){5}([0-9A-Fa-f]{2}) (public|random))$\b}
control {number=3}{type=string}{display=Adv Hop}{default=37,38,39}{tooltip=Advertising channel hop sequence. Change the order in which the sniffer switches advertising channels. Valid channels are 37, 38 and 39 separated by comma.}{validation=^\s*((37|38|39)\s*,\s*){0,2}(37|38|39){1}\s*$}{required=true}
control {number=7}{type=button}{display=Clear}{tooltop=Clear or remove device from Device list}
control {number=4}{type=button}{role=help}{display=Help}{tooltip=Access user guide (launches browser)}
control {number=5}{type=button}{role=restore}{display=Defaults}{tooltip=Resets the user interface and clears the log file}
control {number=6}{type=button}{role=logger}{display=Log}{tooltip=Log per interface}
value {control=0}{value= }{display=All advertising devices}{default=true}
value {control=0}{value=[00,00,00,00,00,00,0]}{display=Follow IRK}
value {control=1}{value=0}{display=Legacy Passkey}{default=true}
value {control=1}{value=1}{display=Legacy OOB data}
value {control=1}{value=2}{display=Legacy LTK}
value {control=1}{value=3}{display=SC LTK}
value {control=1}{value=4}{display=SC Private Key}
value {control=1}{value=5}{display=IRK}
value {control=1}{value=6}{display=Add LE address}
value {control=1}{value=7}{display=Follow LE address}
Attachments
wireshark_interface_list.png
wireshark_interface_list.png (56.61 KiB) Viewed 133 times
seen_in_nrf-connect.png
seen_in_nrf-connect.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 133 times
INFO_UF2.TXT
(229 Bytes) Downloaded 1 time

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”