FX Sound Board 2mb Serial play

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_carter

Re: FX Sound Board 2mb Serial play

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Weird. Don't know why everything would show up normal via USB, but nothing shows via serial control.

Can you test basic non-serial triggering? Does that work as expected with the test files from the Learn guide?

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

Tested manual triggering on all 10 pins. No sound.

Went back to the usb cable.Pulled up Audacity. Demo files all there. Loaded T00 and played just fine with Audacity.

Could the firmware somehow be corrupted, and it might work to load it again?

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

So I bought a new fx sound card direct from adafruit. I am so far having the same problem in serial mode. The program cannot find my file. I can read and play them from my pc, but the card does not see them. What should I do?

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

So testing with my new fx card. I loaded the test files from the tutorial. The serial control program does not see the files. If I list the files it says “0 files”. If I try to play a file I get “ file failed to play”.

Hooking up the card in manual mode, the file T00 plays.

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

Next I loaded my own ogg files. Initially could not get them to play in trigger mode but when I changed the file names to “T00”,”T01”, “T02” etc. they worked. I went back to serial mode and tried to list and play my files with no success. I am now thinking of triggering the files with the processor. I know that isn’t the elegant approach but I cannot get serial to work.

Any more thoughts about why I can’t read the files in serial mode?

adafruit_support_carter

Is this only happening with your audio files? Or does the same behavior show using the example audio files from the guide?

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

Same for both my files and the example audio files. Serial does not work for either.

adafruit_support_carter

Total mystery. For this to be happening with known working example files on a brand new board is very odd.

For the first board, it could be related to the reformatting that was done. For non-example audio files, it could be something with the files themselves. If the ADAFRUITSFX were not showing up on the host PC at all, it could be something with the sound FX board itself.

But just tested this with a local setup and it all works as expected.

Example audio files show up in folder on host PC:
Screenshot from 2023-05-31 10-17-04.png
Screenshot from 2023-05-31 10-17-04.png (68.74 KiB) Viewed 106 times
And then again when listing with L command via the Arduino menucommand sketch:
Screenshot from 2023-05-31 10-18-16.png
Screenshot from 2023-05-31 10-18-16.png (88.88 KiB) Viewed 106 times

Maybe it's something with the PC being used? If you have access to a second PC, can you try that and see if the same issue repeats? On the current PC, is it running any kind of 3rd party software utlities like anti-virus or auto backup stuff that could be do things behind the scenes to the Sound FX board's storage?

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

So I took my brand new fx audio card to my MacBook connected it erased all of my files. Loaded all the demo files and ejected the audio card. I removed the usb cable. Connected the card in serial mode and ran the serial menu program. Selecting menu “L” I get “0 files”. Using “#0” I get “file failed to play” and so on through “#3”. As far as I know there are no antivirus programs on the MacBook. On the pc I have most recent version of Norton Antivirus software. The notebook running the antivirus software and Windows 11 home edition is an HP Laptop -SUOJ3F52 HP Laptop 15-dw1xxx.

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

So looking at the Fx Audio card properties/hardware/VLSI VS 1000-1 Device Properties/Events there is this notation:
4/6/2023 Device settings not migrated
Information
Device setting for USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_VLSI&Prod_VS1000-1&Rev_1.3\00000000001&0 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.
? Helpful…

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

As it turns out my problems stemmed from the fact that I had not tied UG to ground. When I did that everything began working. But now I went back to load my own sound files. I deleted the demo files and setup to load my own sound files and the fx audio card thinks there are still 11mb of disk space occupied. It shows no files listed, but only has 4 mb of space. How do I fix that?

adafruit_support_carter

Turn off "hide hidden files" in Windows to make sure there's not some hidden content that is taking up the space.

rhartl

Post by rhartl »

Finally have it working. Thanks for all the help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”