Ham handed HAM

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Auldwilly

Ham handed HAM

Post by Auldwilly »

Sorry folks, probably in the wrong room here but I’m a dumb HAM radio guy and I’m looking for help on on the ADAFRUIT SOUND BOARD
Someone please tell me where to go😎
Thanks

Franklin97355

Re: Ham handed HAM

Post by Franklin97355 »

Perhaps if you tell us what you want to do others could help you. What do you want to do?

Auldwilly

Post by Auldwilly »

Making a novelty horn for resuscitated sports car. (See Mark Roper Polite horn on you tube)
I purchased all parts recommended in the video
I have connected 12vdc to 5 vdc stepdown to the sound board which feeds the amplifier.
I downloaded all the test WAV files posted on the ADAFRUIT site.
I found and downloaded four WAV files I want to use in my project
Using the proper method described I can play all the test files.
Using the same method I cannot play my selected files.
I converted the WAV to OGG with no improvement.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Bill

f

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Have you seen the tutorial yet?

Auldwilly

Post by Auldwilly »

First and foremost, let me express my appreciation for your time and response.
Yes, I have seen the tutorial, and in fact reviewed it again after having read your question. (Ya never know, ya know)
The device works well when using the vendor supplied test WAV files.
That test verifies items such as correct components, power levels, and wiring. It also eliminates the dreaded cold solder joint issue often found in HAM projects. (especially mine now that I have those hand tremors)
That said, I am 99% certain that the problem concerns the audio file properties. I am way out of my comfort area here as I usually deal with amateur radio and not the software world. I have built and successfully operated a couple of solid state transceivers and antennas but that is a totally different world.
BUT....when I install both the test WAVs and my WAVs on the board at the same time, the test WAVs work fine, mine do not. I converted my WAVs to the compressed format OOG after having read the "spoiler" about WAVs.

No success.
I should mention that my laptop will immediately play both the test and my WAVs.

My 125 years as a navy BANNED, telephone technician & supervisor and Advanced Extra amateur radio operator lead me to believe it will be a simple solution once some kind soul points out my stupidity.

Thanks again for your time and interest.
Bill KK4LYQ

Auldwilly

Post by Auldwilly »

I wonder why the word BANNED (r a d i o m a n) got banned.

millercommamatt

Post by millercommamatt »

How did you get your WAV files? Were they always WAV files? If they were converted to the WAV format, how was that done? How are the files named?

Not all valid WAV file encodings work with the board. What are the specs for your files?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-wav ... vert-files

Auldwilly

Post by Auldwilly »

The WAV files were downloaded from a couple of the web libraries and were originally WAV.
as for the size, they range from 350KB to 52.7 KB

I am confused by the statement that the largest WAV file is 44,KHz which in HAM talk defines band width of a signal or band. The test files range from 26.2KB to 78KB. My smallest is in the middle of that range but all I get is a series of faint pops.

I have converted mine to OOG and back to WAV which had no effect.

Auldwilly

Post by Auldwilly »

Is there a forum for the sound board? I have searched several times but found nothing.
Oh, and thanks for the response

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

There is no soundboard specific topic but you are in the right place. How are you naming your files and have you tried an original wav file without modification? I'll see if others have any insights on this.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

maybe post a screenshot of the 'disk drive' of the wave board, so we can see the files, their sizes, and names. that may help. probably they aren't named right?

Auldwilly

Post by Auldwilly »

Many thanks to everyone who attempted to help me with this problem. I am just now reading the latest replies and it appears that you guys were closing on the solution. We have friends visiting from out of state and Frank is a retired and very experienced EE (electrical engineer). We both dabble with technical bits and bobs as well as sport and race cars so we had a happy 45 minutes discussing file formation and such.
As I had suspected all along, it was a very simple fix.

He and I both are accustomed to naming our files with a description of its contents and that was the problem. I may be hearing the chuckles from those of you who are experienced with the Arduino world, but the simple truth is that the sound board is configured such that each trigger pin has its own pre-assigned file name and the data is stored and indexed by that specific name, and not a name I selected. As soon as I removed the descriptive name from the basic T0n there was joy in world again.

So, when I grounded pin #01 the sound board went looking for T01 but only found my T01clownhorn and had no idea what to do with that bit of nonsense. As soon as I changed the file name to T01, the room filled with the melodious notes soon to be heard around town emanating from my resuscitated 1973 MGB/GT. There may even be echos of a wookie growl, a polite "thank you" and an occasional caustic comment on the other guy's driving and parking prowess.

Thanks again to one and all for letting us play in your world and learning something new,
Bill KK4LYQ

PS Stop in and visit us at the 2024 12 Hours of Sebring midway side of the front straight. The guys in party bus (next to the walkover) will know where to find us

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

congrats from AC2SN

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Glad you discovered it. from an expired WB6VKZ

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”