Identifying old and new Flora Wearable Ultimate GPS Modules

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jsamosky

Identifying old and new Flora Wearable Ultimate GPS Modules

Post by jsamosky »

I've purchased many of these modules over the years 2015-2023 for wearable tech projects in my engineering design course.

It appears there are at least two versions (or more?) of this module: an older one based on the MTK3339 chipset (66 channels), and a newer one based on the MTK3333 (99 channels).

How can these versions be identified? We have modules marked "PA6H1F1618 / G.top013" and others labeled "Module: PA6H".

Thank you!

mikeysklar

Re: Identifying old and new Flora Wearable Ultimate GPS Modules

Post by mikeysklar »

The newest GPS modules are 4mm taller than the earlier ones as of 2021.

Are there any changes on the back of the PCB to the versions numbers or are they all v1.0?

jsamosky

Post by jsamosky »

Thanks mikeysklar.

I was able to find a confirmed new module and compare to the known older ones. Unfortunately, both are labeled "Version 1.0" on the back.

However, as you noted, the new modules are taller. The module webpage https://www.adafruit.com/product/1059 states that the new modules are "a little taller (4mm)". I took a quick measurement with calipers and found this refers to the height of the upper, tan-colored part of the module, specifically (not including the PC board). This part of the older module is about 2 mm high. So this does provide a quick visual differentiation between the two versions.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Cool. I'm glad that 2mm is enough to visually differentiate. Thank you for the followup.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”