My sweet wife would like a song to play when she enters a room

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
keniselvis

My sweet wife would like a song to play when she enters a room

Post by keniselvis »

Of course she said this in jest but I want to make it a reality.

I know nothing. I bought the Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB but just realized it doesn't come with anything.

Can I buy the speakers, battery pack, circuit board(?), And a reed switch from this sight?

I purchased a wireless doorbell that you can add your own chime but 1. It only plays the first 10 seconds of the song and 2. I can't find a door sensor it will connect to.

Please help! 😃. I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Sorry that I didn't search to see if this question has already been asked. I'm on my phone which almost as helpful in searching message boards as I am giving you advice on putting this contraption together.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: My sweet wife would like a song to play when she enters a room

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'd start by reading through the guide to get an idea of how it works and what it can do:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... d/overview

Triggering can be accomplished with something as simple as a pushbutton switch. But there are various other sensors like reed switches or break-beam sensors that can be used as triggers too. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... ring-audio

The on-board amp will drive most small speakers. This set is a good match for it: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1669

keniselvis

Post by keniselvis »

thank you SO much!!!!

keniselvis

Post by keniselvis »

Alright! UPDATE: OH MY WORD my sweet wife LOVES this!!!! SO fun!

I have a few questions:

1. In the instructions it says, "Hold Looping Trigger - name the file TnnHOLDL.WAV or .OGG to have the audio play only when the trigger pin is held low, it will loop until the pin is released." Right now I have it set up with a (normally closed) reed switch so when the door opens it turns on and plays. If I name the file "TnnHOLDL.OGG" will it ONLY play once? (right now it just keeps repeating.)

2. Even when the door is shut, the batteries drain in a day. I guess I assumed that if the door was shut, and the reed switch closed, there would be no voltage. Any idea what could be draining the batteries?

3. I know the device can be powered with a USB battery pack. Could I power it through a USB connected to a computer or cell phone block?

Thanks for your help!

ken :^)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If I name the file "TnnHOLDL.OGG" will it ONLY play once?
No. It will loop as long as the trigger pin is held low. To play only once, use the 'basic trigger' naming.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... gg-2914626
2. Even when the door is shut, the batteries drain in a day. I guess I assumed that if the door was shut, and the reed switch closed, there would be no voltage. Any idea what could be draining the batteries?
The reed switch is only controlling the trigger state. When the switch is open, your batteries are still powering the circuitry on the board that is monitoring the triggers.
I know the device can be powered with a USB battery pack. Could I power it through a USB connected to a computer or cell phone block?
Yes. That will work.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”