Defective Neopixel Featherwing?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jander42

Defective Neopixel Featherwing?

Post by Jander42 »

Tonight I was using my NeoPixel Featherwing https://www.adafruit.com/product/2945 for a sound spectrogram display driven by the ESP32-S3. The 60th pixel turned a solid color, turned off, and now the last four pixels will not illuminate. I'm driving it at 0.05 brightness. I think I may have a defective part? It was working fine before.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Defective Neopixel Featherwing?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The 60th pixel turned a solid color,
Which pixel? There are only 32 total. Are there more attached externally?

Jander42

Post by Jander42 »

Oops, I have no idea how I multiplied that wrong. It was the 28th pixel (4th from the end). Happily all four returned to life when I ran the project last night. I have no idea what was going on. The only other electrical component connected to the ESP32S3 feather + neopixel featherwing is a microphone on analog pin 1

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Neopixels work in a chain. Each one grabs the first chunk of data for itself and the passes the rest along the chain. Sometimes a pixel can go bad, which then prevents all the other pixels downstream in the chain for receiving any data. So if it happens again, that may be what is happening.

But do double check code and make sure the pixel count and pixel order is set correctly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”