3W Speaker Bonnet - I2S mmap

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
carriedo01

3W Speaker Bonnet - I2S mmap

Post by carriedo01 »

Recently get a brand new Adafruit 3W speaker bonnet. I unsuccessfully try to install it in my Raspberry Pi 4 using latest Raspian OS bullseye 64 Bits and Python 3.9.2
The speaker bonnet was installed as HAT.
Since I have other Adafruit HAT boards installed in my built (DC motor HAT, Servo Motor HAT) I did make sure the 3 pins required (GPIO18, GPIO19 and GPIO21) for the speaker bonnet were free to be used.
I followed all instructions as per product webpage. First I used the automatic installation process, didn't work. Then I followed the step by step manual process and checked that all required components were installed correctly as per product webpage, didn't work either.

Problem: when executing the test files (I tested speaker-test -c2, WAV and MP3 files) there is no sound.

Then I run 'alsamixer' and selected 'snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac' and check the volume was at full level 100 then I tested again the 3 audio test files, didn't work.

I noticed when booting the Raspberry Pi 4 I get the following message: 'failed to load overlay I2S-mmap'

I realized the 3W speaker bonnet is a few years old project but since there is no warning in the product webpage about potential issues with newer Raspbian OS and the project stills active I just assumed could be installed without major issues. I could not find also any specific requirements in terms of Raspbian OS version for this project.

Help is need it.

Thank you.

mikeysklar

Re: 3W Speaker Bonnet - I2S mmap

Post by mikeysklar »

Buster should work if you can rolling back to a legacy install. That or kernel pinning. The issue appears to have started being reported around kernel v5.15.84 release in January.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”