Wippersnapper RP Pico W Reboot Loop

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Catsci

Wippersnapper RP Pico W Reboot Loop

Post by Catsci »

Hello all,
I hope this finds you well.

I’m having difficulty setting up an RP Pico W with Wippersnapper. I load the firmware and the .json file. When I restart, the Picos enter an endless reboot loop. I checked out the .json file. The username and IO I.D. are correct. There are no error messages to note.

I’m new to Wippersnapper so I’m assuming I’m making a mistake somewhere. I’ve followed the directions and have attempted multiple times. Also, I’ve used a few different Pico Ws that are known to be completely functional.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that I used flashnuke between attempts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

LLAP

barshatriplee

Re: Wippersnapper RP Pico W Reboot Loop

Post by barshatriplee »

Make sure that you are following this thoroughly: https://learn.adafruit.com/quick-start- ... r/overview
Also ensure that you are using the correct firmware for your RP Pico W. Double-check the firmware version and confirm that it is compatible with Wippersnapper. If necessary, try using an alternative firmware version.

Catsci

Post by Catsci »

Thanks for the response. I went through the steps a few more times today with different web browsers. I wanted to see if that would make a difference with no browser extensions enabled. Didn’t help.

In terms of trying a different firmware version: did you mean a different version of the Pico W firmware, or the firmware for a different board? I don’t see an option to download a different version of the Pico firmware.

If you meant a different Pico firmware version, could you tell me where to find it? If you meant firmware for a different board, what alternate board firmware would you recommend I start with?

Thanks again for your time, and patience.

LLAP

Catsci

Post by Catsci »

Thanks for the response, sakelo213. I have actually tried all of those options. When I reached out to the manufacturer, Raspberry Pi, they said that the problem is with Adafruit IO. They explained that IO is a nice idea, but a long way from being stable. I don’t know enough about IO to comment on that, and I'm quite fond of Adafruit otherwise.

And keep in mind, I tried this with multiple Pico W.

Thank you for your time. It is appreciated.

LLAP

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Hi, is this related to https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... issues/432 - did one of you post this issue?

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

@CatSci, can you please connect your board to https://www.serialterminal.com/ and provide me with the output? It's really difficult to "see what the board is doing" without this.

Catsci

Post by Catsci »

Hiya @brubell,

The problem is that it keeps rebooting so quickly, I can’t get anything out of the REPL. Unless you can explain a different way to go about it, there’s nothing to give you. I am definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Catsci

Post by Catsci »

Something just occurred to me. What if I built a Pico probe with another Pico? It would be hardwired. Would that make a difference?

I’ve never done it before, but I can investigate building one. I think I have everything I need, and I’ve wanted to try it out anyway. I’ll start looking into that.

Let me know if you have any advice on the process or any alternative ideas.

Thanks again.

Catsci

Post by Catsci »

I'm still working on getting the Picoprobe to debug Wippersnapper.

Considering I wasn't able to get any info from the serial terminal link you gave, do you have any other ideas on your end?

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Are you able to try another WiFi network, possibly a hotspot from your phone?

ediazcoon

Post by ediazcoon »

Exactly the same problem here. It happens after I updated to the latest version, 63 I think it is.

Catsci

Post by Catsci »

From what I'm seeing, problems with Adafruit IO and a Pico aren't uncommon. But IO is still in beta, and I kind-of feel like I'm getting to help out a bit, in some small way. So, I plan to keep trying.

I'm still working on the picoprobe debug but I seem to have run into a permissions problem. It starts but then exits with the permissions error. It happens, and I'm working through some of the possible fixes.

Once I finish this, I'll hopefully be able to supply some debugging data. Anyone who might be able to throw a bit of picoprobe advice, feel free. Otherwise I'll report back once I get the data.

magher

Post by magher »

Following with interest. I have the exact same problem.

Catsci

Post by Catsci »

Hiya @magher and @ediazcoon,
Welcome to the party. You may have something to contribute that helps push this forward. If you're interested, the conversation is also happening on GitHub.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... issues/432

Thanks for participating.

LLAP

magher

Post by magher »

Thank's for the Github link

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”