Feather 2040 won’t go into mass storage mode?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Monofin

Feather 2040 won’t go into mass storage mode?

Post by Monofin »

Hi all, and apologies for any particularly noob statements:
I picked up a pair of Feather RP2040 boards from PiHut here in the UK, and they arrived nicely sealed in their packaging:

On the same USB cable, one will enter mass storage mode using BOOTSEL (either with RST or with plugging in to the USB-C), the other will not, and keeps scrolling the colour wheel on the LED.

PiHut told me to try here in the first instance - so, any tips/tricks on getting the second one to work?

This is fresh out of the packaging, I’ve checked that the bootsel switch continuity works when pressed (using a multimeter, when disconnected), but the fact that one works every time (and is now running circuitpython as a midi expression pedal) and the other doesn’t makes me wonder…

Really big thanks in advance to anyone for advice!

Cheers,
Ed

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Feather 2040 won’t go into mass storage mode?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It helps to have the other one as a sanity check. It should work to hold BOOTSEL while pressing RESET. Everything being used is the same between the two Feathers? Same USB cable, etc?

Suspecting the BOOTSEL button is a good thought. Does the soldering look OK on the button pins? Or any other obvious issue with that button getting a good connection.

Monofin

Post by Monofin »

Hi there:
Yep, double checked (with another set of eyes too!) the USB cable, and cross checked with another as well.

Bootsel button soldering looks ok, and continuity tested with a multimeter is good and does what it’s meant to when pressed.

Tracing out the circuit, I found the problem: the diode just below SCL/SDA and part of the bootsel circuit was fitted backwards!

Photos can be provided….

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Interesting. Yes, please, if not too much trouble, post a photo of that Feather. Also - if you still have the little plastic bag the Feather came in with the sticker and barcode, include that as well. Will pass all that info on.

And let's just replace the Feather. For that - send an email to [email protected] and link them to this thread. They can send you a replacement Feather RP2040.

Monofin

Post by Monofin »

Hope the quality come out ok here - I also note a slight difference in the logo on the chip.
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 41 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 41 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”