Beginner Hardware Question - RFID/NFC and e-Paper

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sjweathy

Beginner Hardware Question - RFID/NFC and e-Paper

Post by sjweathy »

I'm working on a project where I'd like to read a simple string on an RFID tag and then create a qr code based on the string to be displayed on an e-ink/e-paper display using micro/circuit python. I'd also like to make it battery powered. I'm currently using a raspberry pi pico and a generic rc522 and a generic e-ink display.

I'm running into a lot issues with the generic hardware due to lack of documentation or tutorials. Wondering if there's a combination of adafruit hardware that might make this project easier, but am still learning about all of the wings and hats that adafruit makes. Thank you!

mikeysklar

Re: Beginner Hardware Question - RFID/NFC and e-Paper

Post by mikeysklar »

The PN532 Breakout is well documented and you can use that with your Pico + CircuitPython.

It would also be even easier to use the PN532 Shield with a Metro M0 to remove any manual wiring.

sjweathy

Post by sjweathy »

Thank you so much for the reply. Would it be trivial to add an e-Paper display into the setup you suggested with the PN532 shield and Metro M0? Any other shields/wings/hats or boards that would make this easier?

It's probably worth noting that I don't currently know how to solder. I want to learn, but was hoping to complete this without soldering.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The Adafruit 2.7" Tri-Color eInk Shield would be a good choice to go with a Metro form factor + PN532 shield since they can be stacked. guide

Code: Select all

Metro M0 or M4 (bottom)
PN532 (middle)
2.7" Tri-Color eInk (top)

sjweathy

Post by sjweathy »

Awesome! Thanks so much!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”