STM32F405 Express no longer connects to USB

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jim8778

STM32F405 Express no longer connects to USB

Post by Jim8778 »

I was successfully connecting and uploading code with Arduino IDE V2.1.0. After a few days away from the IDE, I discovered my STM32F405 Express no longer connects to the USB. When I jump B0 to +3.3 and press reset, under "Universal Serial Bus devices", "STM BOOTLOADER" appears in the device manager (it's always visible if "View -> Show hidden devices" is checked). Nothing appears under "Ports (COM & LPT)". Neither the STM32, nor any other device, is visible on the IDE under "Tools -> Port". Looking the bootloader device manager properties, I see "Device USB\VID_0483&PID_DF11\2065326F4D31 requires further installation." Disconnecting USB after a BO+reset generates a "disconnect" sound. A B0+reset generates a "connect" sound, but no sound is generated otherwise.
If I connect a Nano, "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM6)" appears and the Arduino IDE sees it as "COM6".
I did attempt, apparently unsuccessfully, to install the Microsoft Windows Defender Application Control about the time the problem occurred. MS WDAC.
Any suggestions? Thanks -Jim

barshatriplee

Re: STM32F405 Express no longer connects to USB

Post by barshatriplee »

When you jump B0 to +3.3V and press the reset button, the STM32F405 Express board should enter bootloader mode. However, if the board is not being recognized as a serial port, it could indicate an issue with the bootloader. Try updating or reinstalling the bootloader firmware on the board.

Jim8778

Post by Jim8778 »

Thanks, but I don't think it can be done. According to several sources including Adafruit DFU bootloader details the bootloader is in ROM which is not overwriteable.

Jim8778

Post by Jim8778 »

Got it working again! I deleted C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\stm32duino and C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics then reloaded. Seems to work now!
*Edit: added the path names.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”