Possible defective Adafruid Metro M4 Express

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
drethic

Possible defective Adafruid Metro M4 Express

Post by drethic »

I ordered an Adafruit Metro M4 Express to replace an Adafruit Metro 328. I am using a SparkFun Qwiic Shield for Arduino to connect a Adafruit SCD-41.

Following this guide, I have installed the 1.7.11 version of the Adafruit SAMD Boards, the Sensirion Core library version 0.6.0, and the Sensirion I2C SCD4x library version 0.4.0. I am running Windows 10 and Arduino IDE 2.1.0. After installing the new board drivers I did a restart of my machine to ensure the drivers were ready to use. With either board plugged in the IDE detects them as expected.

I tested the Metro 328 and the M4 Metro with the 01.Basics -> Blink sketch. Both had their lights respond accordingly.

I then started testing the Qwiic Shield and SCD-41 with the Sensirion I2C SCD4x exampleUsage sketch. With the shield attached to my Metro 328 the sensor initializes and works as expected and I can read the output via the Serial Monitor on 115200. However, when I put the Shield on the M4 Metro the sketch compiles and uploads, but I do not see output in the Serial Monitor. If I move the USB connection around it will randomly transmit the serial signals but all I get for messages are "Error trying to execute stopPeriodicMeasurement(): Received NACK on transmit of data" that message is from this block right after setting up the Serial and Wire connections

Code: Select all

error = scd4x.stopPeriodicMeasurement();
    if (error) {
        Serial.print("Error trying to execute stopPeriodicMeasurement(): ");
        errorToString(error, errorMessage, 256);
        Serial.println(errorMessage);
    }
I'm hoping it is something silly I did setting up the new board. But if not, how can I troubleshoot the USB and/or Serial connections on the M4 Metro? And if it is a bad board is there a way to get a replacement?

dastels

Re: Possible defective Adafruid Metro M4 Express

Post by dastels »

From the schematic of the shield, it is expecting to be on a 5v board. The Metro M4 Express is a 3.3v board. I.e. the SAMD51 MCU runs with 3.3v logic whereas the ATmega328P on the Metro 328 runs with 5v logic. There are pullups on the SDA and SCL lines to 5v which is likely the problem.

Dave

drethic

Post by drethic »

Thank you for the quick response. Glad to see it is not the M4. Based on what I'm seeing of the Qwiic Shield it is expecting 5v in to convert it to 3.3v for the I2C boards. Does that line up with what you were seeing? I assume there is no programmatic fix to set the SDA and SCL lines to use 5v? If not, I will have to look for an alternative shield or build my own connection then.

dastels

Post by dastels »

You are correct on all counts. You could use a proto shield https://www.adafruit.com/product/2077 and a STEMMA-QT hub board to mount on it https://www.adafruit.com/product/5625.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”