Defective Raspberry Pi Pico-W

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gbelair

Defective Raspberry Pi Pico-W

Post by gbelair »

Order #: 3068228
I recently purchased (from Adafruit) two additional Raspberry Pi Pico-Ws (I have several). One works, and the other does not. I emailed returns only to inform them, for quality control purposes, but they responded (Ben) that I should post here in case others have had similar problems. I don’t plan to request a replacement because it only costs $6.00 and shipping to/from Canada (unless Adafruit pays for it all) is not worth it.
The problem with the second unit is that sometimes it appears as a drive (for flashing) and sometimes nothing happens at all. In the odd time it is available to flash once the UF2 file is copied (if it copies) it will not reboot (nothing happens other than disconnecting from the host PC as a drive).
Keep in mind I have several of these units and all of them work fine. Its just this one. Thus, eliminating cable, host, etc., as the cause of the problem. It is clearly a new unit quality control issue. I suppose that shipping could have damaged it, but given I received two units along with other items purchased that all work, I have eliminated this as a cause as well. Packaging was well done, and no apparent damage.

Thoughts?
P.S. This seems to be the closest forum to post about this. If another is more appropriate please let me know
Attachments
pico-pic-1.png
pico-pic-1.png (444.45 KiB) Viewed 82 times
pico-pic-2.png
pico-pic-2.png (246.18 KiB) Viewed 82 times

dastels

Re: Defective Raspberry Pi Pico-W

Post by dastels »

I'm wondering about the discoloration on the RP2040 chip.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”