ItsyBitsy-M0 clone / OpenOCD with RPi

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jsum16

ItsyBitsy-M0 clone / OpenOCD with RPi

Post by jsum16 »

I am trying to learn to make my own boards with SAMD21 chips. I downloaded the ItsyBitsy Eagle files, removed the RGB led and the battery input and made the board a little bigger to make it easier to solder. I assembled the board and it seems fine (tested for continuity with multimeter to make sure no pins shorted). I have been trying to load the Arduino Zero bootloader following the Adafruit tutorial at "https://learn.adafruit.com/programming- ... spberry-pi". After running OpenOCD, the RPi screen says "Verify Started" and then "Verified OK" (I have a screenshot but could not figure out how to load it in this comment), so it looks to me like the bootloader was successfully loaded on the SAMD21. When I plug the board into a computer, however, it it fails to make the chiming sound and is not recognized by the Arduino IDE. When I look at the Device Manager, I do not see anything that looks like a com port or any other "new" device. When I use the same cable to plug in a different Arduino, the Arduino is recognized by the IDE and the Device Manager. Other cables fail to make the new board work. The power and ground connections on the micro usb socket provide power to the new board. I ground the shielding off the far end of a usb cable and confirmed that the D+ and D- connections in the usb socket are making contact and are not shorted to each other, or any other signal on the microcontroller.
One other thing I tried was to export a blink.bin file from the IDE and load it on the device using OpenOCD. Again I got the "Verified OK" signal from the RPi, but the led did not blink. I confirmed that shorting the 3v3 pad to the appropriate pad on the board would light the led.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jack

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”