QT Py ESP32-C3 WiFi issues

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kjr

QT Py ESP32-C3 WiFi issues

Post by kjr »

I've just got 5 QT Py ESP32-C3 WiFi Dev Boards, but when trying them out I'm only able to get one of the boards to connect to my Wifi. I'm running the exact same Arduino sketches on all of them, the good one will connect immediately, the other four will just keep retrying forever. Other ESP32 boards I have also connect without any issues. The distance from the AP doesn't seem to matter.

I've seen this thread: viewtopic.php?p=963707, and my boards seem to behave in a very similar way. Ie uploading and running code works just fine on all of them, eg toggling the Neopixel or printing to the serial port and when running the WifiScan example they will all see the expected network. But when trying to connect to the network or setting up the board as an AP, the four boards will all fail. I've tried visually inspecting my boards as suggested in the mentioned thread, but haven't been able spot any obvious soldering issues so far.

Any tips on other things I could check or try out to get these boards working?

mikeysklar

Re: QT Py ESP32-C3 WiFi issues

Post by mikeysklar »

Do you have the pink bags the boards came in? If so can you post a photo of all 5 together (one shot)? That will help us with the lot tracking.

Had you been using an enclosure with the Qt PY's? I ask since there was a report of a 3D printed case knocking off one of the 0402 16pF cap the antenna utilizes.

Can you also a take a pair of photos with a working board and non-working side by side. One showing the tops and the other showing the bottoms. I believe the pair of 0402 Capacitors C16 / C17 in question are on the bottom side at the far end opposite the USB connector.

kjr

Post by kjr »

Here are some pictures. The good board the one at the left in both pictures, this one have a black stemma connector, all the non-working ones have a white one. None of the boards have been used with an enclosure, all have been tested straight out of the bag.
Attachments
boards_top21.jpg
boards_top21.jpg (185.8 KiB) Viewed 778 times
boards_bottom21.jpg
boards_bottom21.jpg (172.67 KiB) Viewed 778 times
bags.jpg
bags.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 778 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Excellent photos and observation.

I'm going to pass this along to engineering before just sending out replacement units to make sure the issue is reviewed and resolved.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yeah this happened but we dont know why - it has something to do with the access point - we'd recommend returning them for QT Py S2's instead, they're a lot more stable!

amoreno

Post by amoreno »

I have encountered with the ESP32-C3 microcontroller that I purchased from you on May 22, 2023, with order number 3076343. I have conducted several tests to connect it to both my home Wi-Fi network and my mobile phone's network, but to date, I have been unable to establish a connection with either of them.

I have followed the tutorials available on your website (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... /wifi-test), and the microcontroller is able to detect the Wi-Fi networks without any problem. However, when attempting the connection test, an issue arises: it never manages to connect.

I urgently need your review and assistance with this matter, as time is passing, and I need to complete a prototype that relies on this component.
Attachments
issue ESP32 C3 WIFI.docx
(365.32 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@amoreno,

Please start a new topic with your issue showing the WiFi output you see and pink bag for your purchased unit(s) if you have them.

kjr

Post by kjr »

Hi @mikeysklar, did you come to any conclusion on these boards?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@kjr,

I have approved a few other replacement / refunds for ESP32-C3 mostly to ESP32-S2. No solution at this time. Would you like to do a replacement / refund on your units that are not connecting to an AP?

kjr

Post by kjr »

I want to have the option to use BLE, so I guess I need to look into the S3.

By the way, do you suspect that the issue is with the ESP32-C3 chip, or this specific board configuration?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

its some combination of the two, the C3 is tested with the adafruit wifi but has issues with some other APs

kjr

Post by kjr »

@mikeysklar, would it be possible to replace the failing boards with ESP32-S3 boards?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Sure. Replacing with the ESP32-S3 would be fine. You can request that through [email protected] providing this thread link and your order#.

Please be aware that the ESP32-S3 I2C currently has trouble with peripherals that use clock stretching or sleep.

lclarke

Post by lclarke »

Hi There,

@mikeysklar

I have five QT PY C3s from a couple different orders over the past few months all of which are exhibiting the WiFi connectivity issues discussed above. I've just had time to sit down with all five of them for diagnosis and am drawing a blank - can't get any to connect reliably if at all. I have one QT PY S3 which is working well. Would it be possible to open a support ticket to have the C3s replaced/refunded?

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Please contact [email protected] and request replacements or refund for the C3s. I think in this case it is okay to exceed the normal 30-day policy.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”