SK6812B addressable LED with TWO inputs?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stuartrubin

SK6812B addressable LED with TWO inputs?

Post by stuartrubin »

For technical and logistical reasons, I am using what looks like a strange variant of the SK6812B addressable RGB LED. This LED has TWO inputs named DI1 and DI2, respectively, as well as the output DO.

Typically, you connect your micro output to the DI of the first chip, the first chip's DO to the 2nd chips DI, ad
infinitum. But I just can't find anything in the documentation about what to do with the second input DI2. The diagram in the datasheet is a little ambiguous and I can't find any text (at least no in English).

I have attached screenshots from the datasheet. The datasheet is found here: https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/2301111 ... 349956.pdf

Can anyone please give me some guidance about how to deal with the two inputs? (I have some ideas, but I don't want to bias the thinking of the crowd!) Thank you!
Attachments
WS2812B-6-pads-connections.png
WS2812B-6-pads-connections.png (119.24 KiB) Viewed 64 times
WS2812B-6-pads.png
WS2812B-6-pads.png (118.84 KiB) Viewed 64 times

stuartrubin

Re: SK6812B addressable LED with TWO inputs?

Post by stuartrubin »

Anyone have any experience with this or a similar product? I'd really like to get some confidence before I commit to copper. Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have heard of pixel chips that have a secondary channel which supposedly can automatically bypass a failed pixel. That may be what you are looking at here. I do not have any first-hand experience with them.

stuartrubin

Post by stuartrubin »

I have a suspicion is something like that - a secondary "back up" input. I've read some very vague references to it. I guess we'll see what happens! Thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”