ESP32 Feather V2 - MCP73831/2

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
noramyun

ESP32 Feather V2 - MCP73831/2

Post by noramyun »

I am currently setting up a project where I aim to power the ESP32 Feather v2 board via Solar, using some 6V Solar Panels connected to the BQ24074 Charge Controller (with Adafruit Lithium Battery), which is in turn connected to the LiPo JST Socket on the Feather.

I accidentally connected the BQ42074 Output to the Feather in Reverse Polarity (I used a non Adafruit 2Pin JST Wires for this part of the connection, and did not realize I needed to swap the orientation of the wires in one of the headers). Unfortunately this lead to some magic smoke, which I tracked down to be from the MCP73831/2 Charge Controller.

I've done some simple testing, and the Feather still Powers Okay from the USB, or from the LiPo Battery. It seems to "Hot-Swap" between the two power sources as well when connecting/disconnecting them both, and the only thing I can seem to track down that isn't working, is the USB Charging the Lithium Battery (when it is connected straight to the Feather without the BQ24074 connected in between).

I was wondering if this board would still be safe to run?, and if it was worth sourcing a MCP73831/2 from Mouser and trying a repair (I wonder if this would have knocked something else out as well)?

mikeysklar

Re: ESP32 Feather V2 - MCP73831/2

Post by mikeysklar »

You will need to start over with a new BQ42074.
Check the polarity of your batteries, if you have opposite-polarity batteries plugged in, it will destroy the charger board

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”