MLX90640 RESOLUTION

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MLX90640

MLX90640 RESOLUTION

Post by MLX90640 »

Good afternoon,

I need to know the resolution of the MLX90640 camera (not the accuracy, but the resolution of the measurements in degrees Celsius, i.e., 0.5ºC, 0.75ºC, 0.2ºC...).
The description of the product only saus about accuracy but not the resolution in degrees Celsius, and I need the data for my project as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

john87

Re: MLX90640 RESOLUTION

Post by john87 »

It's fairly complicated, depending on readout rate, pixel location, etc. You should check the datasheet, especially pages 50 and 51 to get the info for your situation.

MLX90640

Post by MLX90640 »

But is that teh measure of noise or is it a measure of resolution? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in that field. I just want an approximated idea of reoslution in ºC for the MLX90640. Looking at the graphs y page 51, might it be around 0.2ºC approximately? At 2Hz refresh rate

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

The theoretical temperature resolution of each pixel could be quite high, but if the low order bits are swamped by noise, they contribute nothing useful.

The best estimate of the practically achievable temperature resolution is done experimentally, in a carefully controlled environment. Measure the average noise with a flat temperature field as the background, introduce objects with carefully controlled temperature, image them, and determine the lowest detectable temperature value that can be reliably distinguished from background.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”