Ultimate GPS does not ship with uFL connector for GPS antenna

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rdjarbeng

Ultimate GPS does not ship with uFL connector for GPS antenna

Post by rdjarbeng »

I ordered the ultimate GPS with an external GPS antenna, however I was surprised that it arrived without the uFL connector to connect the external GPS antenna. I actually thought the connector was included with the Adafruit GPS.

Ultimate GPS I ordered:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/746

I have placed a separate order for the SMA to uFL/u.FL/IPX/IPEX RF Adapter Cable
https://www.adafruit.com/product/851

I would like to know if I need anything else to be able to acquire coordinates of a location and send to my raspberry pi 4. I realise there is a slot for a battery included, is that necessary before I can get the location? I am also open to using an arduino instead of raspberrypi if required.

I am using the GPS to track a vehicle if that information helps.

Just want to know if I need anything extra for the GPS to work?

mikeysklar

Re: Ultimate GPS does not ship with uFL connector for GPS antenna

Post by mikeysklar »

Since you have the GPS breakout the USB to TTL cable would also be useful.

All the Adafruit Ultimate GPS guides call out the uFL connector that needs to be purchased to link up the GPS antenna to the Ultimate GPS boards.

You should follow this guide to get started.

rdjarbeng

Re: Ultimate GPS does not ship with uFL connector for GPS antenna

Post by rdjarbeng »

I understand that the Adafruit Ultimate GPS guides mention the need for a separate uFL connector to link up the GPS antenna with the Ultimate GPS boards. However, when I initially ordered the GPS from the component page, I was not aware of this requirement as I wasn't following any specific guide at that time.

On the ordering page, it would be helpful if there was clearer information indicating that the SMA to uFL cable is not included with the GPS. As someone who has worked with GPS systems before, I assumed that an antenna connector would be included, considering it is a vital component for GPS functionality.

I believe it would greatly benefit newcomers if Adafruit included the necessary connecting wire with the GPS, eliminating the need for separate purchases and potential delays in project completion. This would streamline the process and avoid any unnecessary confusion or inconvenience.

Also @mikeysklar, I don't think I need the USB to TTL cable because I will be using the RX, TX pin on the RaspberryPi. I don't see how that cable will help me in that regard.

I appreciate the quality of Adafruit products, and I hope my feedback can contribute to improving the user experience for future customers. Thank you for your attention to this matter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”