Display Flicker -- Baudrate

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
moWhite

Display Flicker -- Baudrate

Post by moWhite »

I have an older OLED display that I'm driving from both a Feather S3 and ESP32-S3. One of the learning documents for these displays showed a baud rate of 16,000,000 which created a lot of horizontal line artifacts and has a blocky flickering appearance. I tried a bunch of slower values before settling on 640,000, but the results are still not great.

It's been a while since I used this same display with an Arduino based project, but I don't remember any issues.

Any suggestions on how to pick a proper baud rate and what might improve the quality?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1673

spi = board.SPI()
bus = displayio.FourWire(spi,
command=board.D5,
chip_select=board.D9,
reset=board.D6,
baudrate=640000) # 16000000) # 24000000)

self._display = SSD1351(bus, width=128, height=96)

mikeysklar

Re: Display Flicker -- Baudrate

Post by mikeysklar »

The SSD1531 chipset this display uses should work at speeds up to 20MHz (20000000) which the Feather S3 or ESP32-S3 should have no trouble driving at that baudrate. Keep the connections short.

Which Adafruit example have you been running?

moWhite

Re: Display Flicker -- Baudrate

Post by moWhite »

Thanks for your response. I'm using 3-inch jumper wires and I don't have the SD card wired.

This is the main sample that I used to both wire and code that has the 16,000,000 baudrate set: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-1-5 ... quickstart

I'll try and do a screen shot with the blocking and line artifacts.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”