Send Sensor Data via Wifi - ESP32-S2 Feather & 9-DoF IMU Wing

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DSI_Sound

Send Sensor Data via Wifi - ESP32-S2 Feather & 9-DoF IMU Wing

Post by DSI_Sound »

Hello,

I am trying to use the ESP32-S2 Feather & 9-DoF IMU Wing to send the motion data from the wing via UDP to MaxMSP in order to control audio/visual parameters within a Max patch. I am using the Arduino IDE for coding. I have a sketch that connects the ESP32 to a network, and sends the motion data from the wing in a plotter friendly format as %f via UDP. This sketch compiles and shows all the information I requested in the serial window, but I am struggling to get the data to show up in MaxMSP. (To clarify, I am not asking for MaxMSP help in this forum)

I am an artist first and a microcontroller/coding enthusiast second, so I come here to ask:

Is there a better way to accomplish this?
Is there a way in which I can check to see if the data is being sent through the specified port?
I intend to use this in a larger project with a Local Network/Personal router, but do not have access to that currently: would having said network help at all in troubleshooting?

I ask because I am at a roadblock. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

barshatriplee

Re: Send Sensor Data via Wifi - ESP32-S2 Feather & 9-DoF IMU Wing

Post by barshatriplee »

You can try MQTT instead. You can set up an MQTT broker (e.g., Mosquitto) and publish the motion data from the ESP32 as MQTT messages. MaxMSP can subscribe to the MQTT broker and receive the data.

DSI_Sound

Re: Send Sensor Data via Wifi - ESP32-S2 Feather & 9-DoF IMU Wing

Post by DSI_Sound »

Thank you for the reply, I'll give this a shot!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”