Help with pca9685 not working correctly

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Fab_G

Help with pca9685 not working correctly

Post by Fab_G »

Hello everyone,

I came here looking for help : I'm doing a project for an intership where i have to create an hexapod robot basically from the ground up, with particular interest in the electronics and programming part.

As a main microcontroller, we are using an STM32 Nucleo L476RG, where we plan to pilot 6 of our total of 18 servo-motors, and then we plan on piloting the rest of our 12 servo-motors using our Adafruit pca9685.

While using the datasheet, and different videos to learn how to use the pca9685 correctly, we ran into 2 main problems.
One of them is that the top part of the board, so the slots where you input your ground and your V+ to power the servo-motor pin row, isn't correctly connected with the servo-motor V+ row.
adafruit.PNG
adafruit.PNG (275.16 KiB) Viewed 187 times
We tested to see the continuity with a multimeter, and it wasn't linked, while the ground parts all were, logically.
Which means that we can't power our servo-motors using the input designed for it, and we either have to use the V+ found on the left of the board, or directly attach our power to the V+ row of pins on the bottom.

Our second main problem is the PWM signal output amplitude is extremely low, around 5 mV, which we can't use of course. We tried looking up online why the output is so low, but haven't found the answer unfortunately.
Attached you'll find a picture of our results using an analog descovery oscilloscope. On the right side of the screencap we can see the scale (10 mV/div). We do manage to get our period of time correctly though.

So basically, problem 1 is we can't input our V+ where we should, because there's no continuity between the V+ input and the servo-motor V+ row, and problem 2 is our PWM signal amplitude is extremely low, so useless.

I tested this in 3 different pca9685 boards (clones of the original) and none of them worked.

Hopefully everything is clear, and someone can manage do lend a hand.
I can give more info in the comments.

Thank you very much!
Attachments
a_osci.png
a_osci.png (64.08 KiB) Viewed 187 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help with pca9685 not working correctly

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

One of them is that the top part of the board, so the slots where you input your ground and your V+ to power the servo-motor pin row, isn't correctly connected with the servo-motor V+ row.
As the schematic shows, the design includes a polarity protection FET between the V+ terminal and the servo headers.
https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/36269
So basically, problem 1 is we can't input our V+ where we should, because there's no continuity between the V+ input and the servo-motor V+ row, and problem 2 is our PWM signal amplitude is extremely low, so useless.

I tested this in 3 different pca9685 boards (clones of the original) and none of them worked.
You should be posting your question to the seller of your defective clones.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”