questions about sound guts and...stuff

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hippyhillary

questions about sound guts and...stuff

Post by hippyhillary »

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1759
this kit. I briefly looked over the tutorial and the guide for the gemma.
The end goal is to make a "sonic socket wrench" for a cosplay (yes, from the picture sin the book, it is undoubtedly an homage to dr who's sonic screwdriver). I was leaning towards the talking toys guts kit because it seems like everything will be small enough to fit in the space I have available and probably be able to make the kind of noise I want.
I have some questions:
1. How hard is it to figure out how to get it to make a sound that sounds more "sci-fi" and less like an animal?
2. Can I somehow add a single LED to that circuit?
3. Will it play the sound once or can I make it so that it keeps playing until the tilt switch is in the off position again?
4. Is there anything else you think might work better for this idea?

barshatriplee

Re: questions about sound guts and...stuff

Post by barshatriplee »

I was looking at the Arduino Code: https://learn.adafruit.com/chirping-plu ... other-code
The animal sounds are all generated by the Playtone() function. You can generate different types of sounds by changing the arguments of this function. You have to experiment by yourself to see exactly what frequency and duration you need for your desired tone. It also looks like the Gemma board has a built-in LED connected to the D1 pin. You can turn it on/off the LED by coding. For the sci-fi type of sound generation, I think music shield+Arduino is easier. If you use a music shield, you will be able to store your desired audio files inside an SD card. And Arduino will be able to play them by giving commands.

hippyhillary

Post by hippyhillary »

yes, the gemma does have on board leds but I want a brighter one for this project. So the question is if I can add an LEd to this circuit that turns on for the duration of the sound (it turning on independently or for the entire time the circuit is connected to a power source is an option as well, but i would think those would be harder rather than easier). I will look into the arduino+ shield as an option, thanks! (size will be the biggest determining factor here).

hippyhillary

Post by hippyhillary »

Okay, I have done research on the thngs reccommended here so far.
because of the shape of the object/prop, it's difficult for me to explain how much space I have (i may also be able to create it in such a way to add tiny bits of more space), but the shield itself is close to 2 inches by 2 inches, which is much too large, nevermind the arduino that we have to attach it to. The gemma will fit, but i may have to get creative about how i incorporate a power source (i might have to make the battery look like part of the prop, or i may be able to fit it in the handle of the prop but not the main section where the sound and lights will be). Other boards may fit, but they need to be closer to an inch or maybe an inch and a half (depends on shape and width)

hippyhillary

Post by hippyhillary »

the audio fx mini might also work here although it would be a very tight fit
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2342
I used the bigger version for another project and that went well.
any other thoughts?

hippyhillary

Post by hippyhillary »

I opted for the Gemma. It easily fits in the space I have available as does the speaker... Figuring out where to put power will be a different challenge, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Now I need to figure out how to Program the kind of sound I want

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”