Using the USB -> TTL Cable

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FalkTheHawk

Using the USB -> TTL Cable

Post by FalkTheHawk »

I am building a bunch of IoT modules using Arduino to automate an RV. These IoT modules communicate via an interface back to W11 using UDP on WiFi. However, there is one module, The Actuator, which requires a secondary communication to Windows so it can power cycle the router, power it down at night, etc. I wanted to use the Uno Serial port to USB "ComX:" port on the W11 machine as the backup communication method. The problem is when I open the ComX port from Windows the Arduino Actuator module immediately reboots which I wish to avoid because it may be doing other things.

One solution suggested was to use a USB to TTL converter cable in lieu of the normal USB-B console cable.

Here is my question: I need a comX port out of windows to an Uno. If I use the Adafruit USB to TTL cable can I connect one end into the Windows USB port, connect the black wire out of the cable to ground, the green Tx to D3, the white Rx to D4, and read the serial via SoftwareSerial on the Arduino. I don't need RTS/DTR. I only ask because I've spent weeks -- coding/debugging/wiring wrong parts -- on Serial USB to Arduino and don't wish to repeat the process.

I apologize in advance for general ignorance, if this is the wrong forum or for any protocol slips I might be making.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Using the USB -> TTL Cable

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, that should work. It eliminates the DTR line that triggers the reset.

Another possible solution is to wire a cap between RST & GND as suggested here: https://forum.arduino.cc/t/does-arduino ... b/544278/4

FalkTheHawk

Re: Using the USB -> TTL Cable

Post by FalkTheHawk »

Thanks appreciate the response, will try.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”