Buttons, switches, joysticks?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
barbaricmelons

Buttons, switches, joysticks?

Post by barbaricmelons »

Hello,
This is my first post that I'm not sure if I'm putting it in the right place but I'm working with a friend who is helping me create adaptive hardware and software so I can continue using my computer. The main issue we're running into is input devices and we're trying to find specific buttons, or switches I guess, that use the least amount of force to activate. Unfortunately a lot of the button products that are for sale don't show the force necessary to activate the button kind of like keyboard switches do so I was wondering if anybody had an idea of what joysticks and buttons, preferably smaller the better, use the least amount of force to activate... So if anybody has any experience with these, or could point me to a post where maybe somebody has asked a similar question that would be awesome. I'm just trying to avoid buying a whole load of different buttons to test but if that's what we need to do, that's what we'll do!

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Buttons, switches, joysticks?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are zillions of different buttons and switches. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers publish actuation force in their datasheets.

But there is one type of button that requires zero actuation force. That would be a capacitive touch button. We have a number of different capacitive touch boards. And several microcontrollers support capacitive touch directly.

Here are some links to products and tutorials on the subject:
https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=capacitive+touch
https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=cap ... %2520touch

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”