Unresponsive Feather ESP8266 HUZZAH

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rickir206

Unresponsive Feather ESP8266 HUZZAH

Post by rickir206 »

Last week a bought another Feather ESP8266 with header pins installed and a PCF8523RTC. I installed the RTC and tried to run the example program. I got a complier error saying it can't find Adafruit_I2CDevice.h. I added Adafruit_BusIO.h and it complied but I got a data dump saying "can't find RTC" when I ran it. I checked the voltage at the board, the RTC battery voltage, wires, and connections. It is correctly wire and has 3.2 V. My I2C Scanner sketch says there are no devices installed (no surprise there).
I switched to a DS1307 RTC and went through the same procedure and got (almost) the same result. The DS1307 example sketch compiled, but I got the message "can't find RTC".
Lastly, I tried a very simple, non I2C, sketch: Turn an LED on and off at 1 second intervals. It compiles and loads, but nothing happens.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is? The sketch I want to use it for uses IFTTT to send a notification to my phone. The sketch works on my other Feather ESP8266, but not this one.

Thank you.

barshatriplee

Re: Unresponsive Feather ESP8266 HUZZAH

Post by barshatriplee »

Test the huzzah with some other code. If you cannnot upload any code to it, either it's a dead board or a dead cable.

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

Which PCF8523 board did you get?

How are you wiring it to the Feather?

Please post pictures of your wiring between the Feather and the breakout board. 800x600 resolution pictures work well.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Lastly, I tried a very simple, non I2C, sketch: Turn an LED on and off at 1 second intervals. It compiles and loads, but nothing happens.
This sounds like a basic Blink sketch is not working as expected. Should figure this out before attempting anything else. Also, for now it's best to disconnect anything attached to the Feather. Let's just try and blink the onboard LED.

Have you installed the drivers for the CP2014?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... rduino-ide

Is this the Blink example sketch you are trying to upload?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... st-2720758

rickir206

Post by rickir206 »

The latest CP2104 driver was installed. I loaded the Adafruit blink test and it works.
I then loaded my own "blink" test. Here is the code:

Code: Select all

// Set GPIO for LED 
const int led = 13; 
void setup()
{  
  Serial.begin(115200);
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
}
void loop() 
{
      digitalWrite(led, HIGH);
      delay(1000);
      digitalWrite(led, LOW);
}
This code does not light a standard 3mm LED when run. My USB analyzer indicates the Feather is drawing about 30 mA. I thought it should be more like 100 mA.

As for the RTC issue (an earlier post): It is neither complicated nor my original material. The sketch is from File-Examples-RTC-PCF8523, and it is wire per your guide. The Feather simply cannot find any I2C device.

My suspicion is that the power regulator is defective and cannot supply enough mA to do many tasks.

I appreciate your input. Thank you.
R
Last edited by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] tags

adafruit_support_carter

You need to add another delay in the loop after setting the pin LOW.

Code: Select all

void loop() 
{
      digitalWrite(led, HIGH);
      delay(1000);
      digitalWrite(led, LOW);
}
As is, it will effectively be HIGH constantly.

If the RTC is not even showing up in an I2C scan, then it is most likely a connection issue. Post a photo of your setup with the RTC showing how everything is connected.

rickir206

Post by rickir206 »

I realized as soon as I sent the last post that I had missed a line a code when copying it and, as written, the LED would appear to always be on. But the salient point is that the LED never comes on!. I've spent too many hours trying to get the Feather to work and have switched to an ESP8266.

adafruit_support_carter

OK. Sorry the Feather didn't work out. The behavior described is very odd. It really seems like it's some discoverable/fixable thing. Let us know if you want to keep trying and we'll continue to help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”