Feather TFT ESP32-S3 Board

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rblades

Feather TFT ESP32-S3 Board

Post by rblades »

My new Feather TFT ESP32-S3 is acting oddly, I think!

I can only download a sketch from the Arduino 2.1 interface by putting the ESP32-S3 in manual boot mode. The Feather TFT ESP32-S3 shows up on COM5 with that name but I cannot download the simple sketch to it using this connection. I must go the manual download mode by pressing the RESET and BOOT buttons in the proper sequence and then switching the the TAMC Termod S3 device that shows up on the COM4 port. This will download the simple sketch and run after hitting the RESET button. It also changes back to the COM5 port again which shows up as Adafruit Feather ESP32-S3 TFT again.

I worked through the factory reset and bootloader procedure. The board erased and loaded the file per the procedure. When I use the RESET button nothing appears on the TFT screen, it is just blank.

Any suggestions or procedure I am not doing correctly? Or do I need to seek a return from Adafruit customer service?

barshatriplee

Re: Feather TFT ESP32-S3 Board

Post by barshatriplee »

Verify that all the connections between the Feather board and the TFT display are secure and correctly wired. I have often seen bad jumper wires creating big problems.Test with a different sketch to see if the issue persists.

rblades

Post by rblades »

Thanks for the response.

The TFT board is mounted directly to the board on the ESP32-S3 TFT so the only connections used are the USB-C cable to the PC. It works similar for the four different sketches I worked with.

Vaughnee

Post by Vaughnee »

I am having the same problems.
Topic:- No factory reset on feather esp32-esp s3 tft.
I hope they can fix it for one of us!
Is your board 2023 version with MAX battery monitor chip?
Thanks VB

rblades

Post by rblades »

Yes, my PCB silkscreen labels that chip as a MAX17048. I did not see this mentioned in the web learning site page. Where did you catch this part change?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

This sounds like a known ESP32-S3 specific quirk. Lots of related discussion here:
viewtopic.php?t=197780

I think this PR was the nominal fix:
https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/pull/7828

And that was released in the 2.0.7 BSP:
https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... /tag/2.0.7

What version of the ESP32 BSP are you using? If older than the above, try updating.

rblades

Post by rblades »

I am running Arduino 2.10 and the ESP32 2.09 from the board manager. Confusing that this problem is still happening since it seemed to be resolved with ESP32 2.07.

???

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

IIRC, its a hardware issue not fixable in software - theres a 'workaround bug' in the ROM bootloader in some chips, we cannot fix the behavior :/

rblades

Post by rblades »

Thanks, when trying to work-around the problem I had trouble uploading sketches because board definition changed in boot mode but it seems others found a way around that issue. You should edit your learning site documentation for this board as it leads you to believe that it should operate as expected which is not the case. I will review what others did to get around this issue. I just expected it to work as documented.

rblades

Post by rblades »

I am now able to do all the things expected with my ESP32-S3 TFT using the boot/reset switch sequence and changing the USB port under the Arduino 2.X IDE upload new file and changing the USB port. I have determined to correct sequence for this to work everytime.

I was not successful trying to eliminate the boot/redetswitch sequence and USB port change before each new program upload with the ESP32 board V2.09 or even going back to V2.07 as others mentioned that fix working for them. The board definitions updating in the Arduino 2.X IDE must not be re-writing everything, perhaps when moving backward to older versions? I delete, close and re-open, and then install the desired version each time.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we don't use 2.x - not sure if thast part of the issue but try 1.8.13

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”