Newbie Question - Adding a better speaker

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sparrow4352

Newbie Question - Adding a better speaker

Post by Sparrow4352 »

I have experience with programming, but I am fairly new to the electronics world. I wanted my first Project to be something useful, so I programmed an Adafruit Circuit Playground express to light up and play different sounds when one of the buttons is pressed. I want to use it for boardgame sessions whenever we complete a quest etc. The problem is that the speaker doesn't seem to do low frequency (bass) sounds, so whilst the modified mono wav file sounds great on my computer, it is unrecognisable when played on the board.

I initially looked into doing this with an Ardunio Shield, but all components ended up pretty expensive for a gimmick (especially as the sound shield isn't compatible with my old Leonardo board).

I considered the Adafruit STEMMA Speaker, but I am worried it won't sound any better. Honestly, I don't want to buy a load of components that don't work.

I know very little about audio or electronics and I am completely confused on what to buy next. Is the frequency range only dictated by the speaker or does the amp etc play a part? What do I need to get better sound out of my Express board? The volume is fine, it is just the range of frequency - I didn't expect great audio quality, but it is pointless if people don't recognise the sound.

I know I need to learn some proper electronics, but it is hard to find where to start. The guides normally just list parts without explaining why they chose those parts.

Sparrow4352

Re: Newbie Question - Adding a better speaker

Post by Sparrow4352 »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”