🚀 Help us shape the future development of Adafruit IO and WipperSnapper by sharing your feedback with us!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
brubell
Learn User Page

🚀 Help us shape the future development of Adafruit IO and WipperSnapper by sharing your feedback with us!

Post by brubell »

Hi All,

WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK FOR ADAFRUIT IO TO HELP US PLAN 2024 (AND BEYOND) 🚀
Inspired by Scott’s blog post, CircuitPython 2024, the developers and designers on the Adafruit IO team are requesting feedback (from you!) to help guide our development of Adafruit IO in 2024.

If you’re a current Adafruit Free IO user, an Adafruit IO Plus (paid) user, or have previously used Adafruit IO in the last year, we want to hear from you!

WHAT’S ON YOUR MIND?
The feedback is free-form, it may cover any topic related to Adafruit IO including WipperSnapper.

To start off, here are some topic ideas (note that these are not inclusive and you can blog/post/provide feedback on anything you’d like!):

Projects using Adafruit IO!
What are you building with Adafruit IO in 2024?
What have you built using Adafruit IO?
What do you want to build with Adafruit IO? Why haven’t you yet (hardware, cost, software)?
WipperSnapper Firmware
Are you using WipperSnapper Firmware with Adafruit IO? Have you used it?
What do you think could improve WipperSnapper in 2024?
What platforms/boards do you want to see support for in 2024?
What core features do you want to be added to WipperSnapper in 2024?
i.e: Low-power mode(s), SPI support, More support for boards with displays, etc
Anything else!
What could we improve within our documentation?
Site improvements
Features we’re missing
New blocks?
More power-ups?
New features?
Anything else!
General Feedback
Any other improvements, suggestions, or general feedback you can think of? We’re listening!
Ready to post your feedback? Here are some various ways to post:

Make a post on the Adafruit IO Forum
Make a post on Mastodon or LinkedIn and tag it #AdafruitIO2024
Create a blog post on your personal website/blog
Upload a short TikTok video
When you post, please add #AdafruitIO2024 and email [email protected] to let us know about your post, so we can post it on the Adafruit Blog!

cameronfraser

Re: 🚀 Help us shape the future development of Adafruit IO and WipperSnapper by sharing your feedback with us!

Post by cameronfraser »

Better edit tools for data in a feed,
1 delete all data
2 select date range to delete
3 search feed

#AdafruitIO2024

stanrock

Re: 🚀 Help us shape the future development of Adafruit IO and WipperSnapper by sharing your feedback with us!

Post by stanrock »

Projects using Adafruit IO!

Currently I have a river gauge/flood monitor sending info to Adafruit I/O. The flood monitor was built with all Adafruit parts and uses LORA to ship its data to a receiver unit (ESP32) inside my house. From there the data goes to my internal mqtt broker so I can share with home assistant then on to Adafruit IO.

What are you building with Adafruit IO in 2024?
Currently, I am out of feeds! I have used all 10 for my project and cant add any more without paying. I would love to add a air quality monitor and turbidity sensor, but I am fresh out of space on Adafruit IO. The price for Adafruit IO is a little steep for a hobbyist like me. I would love it if I could save money by pre-paying for a year, then maybe I would expand.

As for whipper snapper, I haven't used that one yet. It sounds like it is very easy to implement, and I definitely am looking for that!

As for documentation, I STILL don't understand the adafruit IO library commands. It is confusing to figure out what is my actual variable and what is the pointer to the feed. I just copy from other programs where I know it is working and replace the values. I would love to see a cheat sheet that outlined a adafruit subscribe or publish line and what is what in the line.

Adino73

Post by Adino73 »

#AdafruitIO2024
I use Adafruit for my experiments with Arduino and esp01.
The latest project is the management of an electrical panel for reading settings and sending commands.
Specific code examples for interacting with dashboards and feeds are very useful.

Thank you all for what you do

Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I am just starting with CircuitPython. Tried the Wippersnapper and while it looked promising I found a few things lacking.

A bit of background. I am starting with the Feather ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT board. The couple of initial projects I have in mind are:

A) Aquarium simple monitoring initially and perhaps auto water changes later. For monitoring, I am looking at temperature and water level. Using a WiFi-enabled board so I can at the very least send an email if there is something that needs to be addressed (run away heater for example). The built-in display of the TFT Feather would also act as a local display of temperature and anything else I want to show.

B) Sump pump monitor in my basement and it runs all the time during the spring and warmer winters. Occasionally, for various reasons, the pump isn't pumping which can cause basement flooding. So I want to be able to at a minimum detect when sump water levels are above where they should be and be able to use my WiFi Adafruit board to alert me with an email or other means. Local display is not important for this application.

With Wippersnapper, while I loved the ease with which you can add a device and add the built-in stuff (switches, LED, battery charger, etc.) to the feeds, for temperature I am using a simple thermistor since for an aquarium a thermistor is cheap and easy to waterproof vs a temperature module of some sort. The only option in IO is adding Analog Pin and as I discussed in another post here, and was told it is being worked on to improve, currently you can only log and display the raw voltage or ADC value to your feed and dashboard. It would be much more intuitive to see "72°F" in my feed, not 1.8V or 895 counts.

Second, I found the gauges and other displays in the dashboard to be a tad limited. For example in the round gauge it shows the value in the center in text and then you can configure the gauge to show different colors for low and high warnings. For example RED when too hot and BLUE when too cold with Green being just right. All great things, but if I instead pick the linear gauge you get almost none of those options that I can see. Not even a basic text display of the actual value. It would seem to me that all gauges should be able to do the same display options regardless of their shape. Also a dashboard of, for example, 8 gauges that are all the same type makes the dashboard less readable at a glance whereas a few different shapes and colors would be helpful if, for example, your thermometer gauges looks like
🌡
then it is obvious which ones are temperature. I know you can use the icons to help but it isn't the same as those icon shapes being the actual gauge. Speaking of which, can that dialog be changed so that rather than a pull-down list of text names of the icons, we instead get a dashboard showing the actual icons as they will appear? Now if you search for "therm" you get over a dozen choices and the only way to see them is to pick each in turn to see it, go back to the list, search again, pick the next one, and repeat. Inefficient.

Third, no support for the built-in display of my board. I would love to see the ability to show a gauge on the little screen or for people using a larger screen, show the actual full dashboard right there. The ability for Wippersnapper to "publish" data back to the display of connected devices seems like an obvious feature to me.

For all those reasons, I find the Wippersnapper is a great idea but not ready for prime time if you are looking for something more elegant & fun than simple data logging. For now, I will stick to using the Adafruit_IO library where I can push to my feed(s) converted units of measurement, display data locally, and, if I can learn how to do it, use my own more obvious graphic symbols.

All that said, keep up the great work. I am really enjoying learning these products.

CVASchmidt

Post by CVASchmidt »

I am going to use Wippersnapper on a Feather Huzzah 8266 to monitor swimming pool temperature with the waterproof probe (adafru.it/381).

...And it just now reported its first data point (actually desk temperature). Huzzah!

(1) I wish I could have used the Wippersnapper web site to ask for a temperature report NOW rather than waiting passively. Waiting for data to come in on its own tests my patience more than I care to admit!

(2) I wish the "online" status on the Wippersnapper web site reported the IP address of each connected device.

(3) I wish for the ability to calibrate sensor readings, by supplying a pair of calibration points. No two hygrometer sensors I own report consistent raw data on their own, and even the temperature sensors on my Funhouse are always 2 degrees apart! This would have the side effect of letting me convert Centigrade to Fahrenheit, or any arbitrary analog voltage reading into something more meaningful, like battery level.

But I think that you already intend Blockly Actions for this kind of frobbing...Cool! I looked at it, but there doesn't yet seem to be a math drawer so I can't adjust my data this way yet.

(4) When you create the Blockly math drawer, please include a block that implements Circuit Python's simplemath.map_unconstrained_range() but just call it "map" or "calibrate" for block size reasons.

(5) Similarly, the existing Reactive Compare Feeds block may be general purpose, but IMO Blockly cries out for you to fight clutter by also offering a simpler/smaller block for a trigger that simply fires when a new datapoint arrives on the selected feed.

(I've used Blockly for FIRST Tech Challenge robot programming, and I think this is a good direction for Adafruit IO. Thank you!)

(6) I haven't studied Wippersnapper's power usage on the 8266 to know if it's feasible to run off a battery yet. If not, I wish Wippersnapper could trigger the Done pin on an Adafruit TPL5110 (adafru.it/3435) to power the board down each time Wippersnapper is done with a data sending cycle.

Thanks again!

gregg_scholfield

Post by gregg_scholfield »

Wippersnapper suggestions #AdafruitIO2024

Add these controllable abilities:
1-turn off i2c power
2-turn off neo pixel
3-go to low power until a component post time
4-have more than 6 components attached
5-blink D13 at different on and off timings

Other notes:
Wippersnapper will operate 17 components successfully but when Wippersnapper locks up after
several days or weeks components stop running. Restarting components above #6 requires
jumping through hoops.

This is the process I have found that works:

1-power up the system
2-access the device via io.adafruit.com
3-edit each component that posts via timing schedule
4-set to 30 seconds post interval
5-click update component
6-once all have been edited, go to the location of the device
7-press reset button one time
8-return to edit each component via io.adafruit.com
9-edit each component to set the time interval back to more reasonable values: 5, 10 15 minutes

At this point all components are posting to io.adafruit.com appropriately. Done!

Wippersnapper is itself an amazing technology! I can only imagine what goes on under the hood that makes it run. But it does run and quite well too. A nod of appreciation to the people who made this possible. Adafruit, you are a remarkable company with what you have created here. Your products and software technology are simply amazing! Thank you for your time and effort creating such a wonderful environment to play and create in.

BigHairJon

Post by BigHairJon »

Greetings!

I've been very happy with how easy it's been to start using Adafruit IO. By and large the docs are excellent (the HTTP docs are missing field breakdowns but Data and Feed items) and I'm very pleased with the results.

I've been using Adafruit IO to remotely monitor the battery voltage status of multiple vehicles.

The project currently uses Feather M0 WiFi units (one with an OLED, one without), TPL5110 Low Power Timer Breakout boards, and MPM3610 5V Buck Converter Breakout for power.

These communicate with a local MQTT broker (Mosquitto). Originally this was set to bridge to io.adafruit but I had stability issues (I'm certain they are in mosquitto). I worked around this by authoring some Python to act as an MQTT client that persists selected topics and messages to a sqlite3 database and then uploads to adafruit using the HTTP API. This has been working quite nicely and is - so far - quite reliable.

I may explore 900MHz / LoRa or possibly even mobile data for when WiFi is not available.

One feature request I'd love to see is discontinuous charting. Normally I configure a cadence not less than hourly but up to a few times a day for MQTT updates, but if I go several days without an update the charts will produce a continuous line and that is not aesthetically pleasing.

spammagnetgmx

Post by spammagnetgmx »

Hi - Thanks for the opportunity to comment on Adafruit IO....

◦ What have you built using Adafruit IO?

I've built a number of projects using Adafruit IO, including:

-- Rural internet repeater station solar panel monitor and controller
-- Swimming pool and solar thermal panel monitor and controller
-- Septic recycling system float monitor and pump controller
-- Home Irrigation system monitor and controller - flow rates and quantities, water tank levels and refill pump control, timing and zone control and monitoring, etc.

Of course, these have been just hobby projects, since the number of feeds and dashboards are limited...but it's been a great way to learn and develop various programming skills.

I have tried many different systems along the lines of Adafruit IO but prefer Adafruit's implemention over all others.

◦ Features Wish List

1. Dashboard Import/Export:

The ability to export and import dashboards would be extremely useful.

I like to share my projects with others, but it's very hard to duplicate a complex dashboard on another person's development setup. It would be great to be able to provide them with an exported template when they initiate their own development project.

Also, certain dashboard layouts work well for computer screens but not for phones, so a second dashboard layout often needs to be constructed which is optimized for phone displays. This is a tedious process which could be made much easier with an export/import function to allow a second dashboard to be created, one which only needs the layout to be adjusted, not be reconstructed from scratch.

Furthermore, an export and import function would allow a functioning dashboard to be preserved (cloned) while another prototype dashboard, based on the original, could be developed in the background without interfering with the original, and could replace the original once the bugs have been worked out.

2. Logical Conditions added to Toggle Switches

It would be great to add logical conditions to Toggle Switches, similar to what already exists for Indicators.

Indicator Blocks have logical conditions associated with them which makes them very useful to multiplex data onto a single feed (e.g., one indicator can indicate a feed value from 1 to 3, another between 4 and 6, and another indicates values 7 or greater). This helps minimize feeds since one feed can be used by multiple indicators.

It would be beneficial for a Toggle Switch state to have logical conditions which would trigger the ON-OFF state indication....for example, if a feed is between 1 and 3 the switch indicates ON, if the feed is between 4 and 6 the switch indicates OFF, and if the feed is 7 or greater the switch indicates ON. This would be similar to the indicator light logical setup but, being a switch, it would also allow a single value to be sent when the switch was manually toggled.

3. Feed Data Deletion by Range

Sometimes feed data is corrupt or not wanted, causing graphs to display inappropriately or incorrectly. It's very tedious to delete feed data one point at a time. It would be great to be able to delete blocks of data based on time, date, or values.

4. Self-hosted instances of Adafruit IO

Probably something that's not going to happen...I'm not sure how much of a profit center Adafruit IO is for the company, so this might be a far-fetched request...but I would love for the Adafruit IO code to be open-sourced so we could run it on our own local servers. This was originally offered by Adafruit when it was first released, but unfortunately that was short-lived. Probably not feasable, but thought I'd mention it anyway!

I've purchased and used a great number of Adafruit products over the years. Thanks for Adafruit IO and for being such a great company!

ALB1985

Post by ALB1985 »

Hello, are there any plans to add support for the max 31855 etc thermocouple amps to the platform? I think they would be useful thanks.

amhoff93010

Post by amhoff93010 »

cameronfraser wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:39 pm Better edit tools for data in a feed,
1 delete all data
2 select date range to delete
3 search feed

#AdafruitIO2024
I agree with cameronfraser for sure. Also a way to set expiration data for feed data. I have a humidity feed that has 18,489 data points. The longest I need data is 24 hours.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”