New Experimental OS for x0xb0x adds DIN Swing

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Omsk411

Re: New Experimental OS for x0xb0x adds DIN Swing

Post by Omsk411 »

pangrus wrote:I've found that in "pattern sync out" mode the midi clock is not working anymore.
How do you mean? "Pattern (Sync Out)" is the normal mode I use and I find it works great. It takes MIDI Clock input and sends DIN Sync Output. This is what you're referring to, correct?

As things stand currently, I have no x0xb0x to test any of the latest reports. After spending the weekend creating this firmware, my Mode Machines x0xb0x shat the bed (the filter broke) and I had to return it. I'm waiting for a new x0xb0x from x0xsh0p.de and will then be able to get my hands dirty with code again. I never tested the swing with pattern reversing, so there may be an issue there. Someone also stated in an earlier post that the TR-606 and TR-808 seemed to be freaking out at moderate swing levels and I should be able to test that, too. So far, I've only tested the DIN Sync with the TB-303.

I expect at least another week before I have my new x0xb0x in hand, so please be patient -- I'll try to post again once I have some new information/results to report.

altitude

Post by altitude »

This bug is confirmed. Pattern sync out no longer sends midi clock. It is supposed to send BOTH sync24 and midi clock, you must have accidentally disabled it

elektrovolt

Post by elektrovolt »

Yesterday I played the b0x with your firmware live and it did a good job. only the sync start-stop is not really handy, I would prefer a reset at the next pattern start just like the mungo sync. I really don't know if this would be possible...

antto

Post by antto »

Pattern (Sync Out) means Internal_Tempo & Sync_Out

otherwise if the x0xb0x is slaved:
MIDI - x0x sync's to incoming midi sync, and converts it to dinsync
DinSync - x0x sync's to it, and converts it to midi sync

altitude

Post by altitude »

antto wrote:..

DinSync - x0x sync's to it, and converts it to midi sync..
You sure about that?

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Trying to clarify:

Bug#1___When in "Pattern Sync Out" mode, the XoxBox generate both the clocks, the Midi and the Sync24. In the latest version of the new experimantal firmware, the midi clock is delayed by a large time, such 1/2 second, so the external midi machines are starting after the xoxbox and obviously are going out of time.

Bug#2___When in "Patt Midi Sync" mode, the Xoxbox is slaved to the external Midi Clock, and generates the Sync 24 signals. Here there is a very short misallignment (a pulse?).

aminoacid

Post by aminoacid »

have you tried with other machines and other midi cables to sync with?

antto

Post by antto »

Altitude wrote:
antto wrote:..

DinSync - x0x sync's to it, and converts it to midi sync..
You sure about that?
that's how it *THINK* it should work, i don't have any dinsync device, so i cannot test it myself
but the point is: when the x0xb0x is not Master (aka it's sync'ed to another device via either midi or dinsync) - the x0xb0x will provide the *other* sync type as an option too
i mean - if you got a TR-606, sync the x0x to it via dinsync - the x0x gives you midi sync additionally, so your midi devices can now be sync'ed from the TR-606 too (which itself doesn't have midi)

and vice-versa (for the case of midisync -> x0x -> dinsync)

i could be wrong tho

aminoacid

Post by aminoacid »

i have sokkos.

and we tried to sync all our gear for a live gig with a mc202 as master through the xoxbox.

but the xox didnt pass on the sync via midi...

altitude

Post by altitude »

thats what I remember as well, only midi->sync24, not vice-versa

antto

Post by antto »

hm..
i think there is no reason for it NOT to do convertion both ways

iirc, the x0x mainly wants dinsync to operate, it converts midisync to dinsync.. yeah, you're right.. but midisync-out can be implemented too
dinsync to midi convertion is easier, since you don't have to deal with the 48 vs 24 ticks

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

aminoacid wrote:have you tried with other machines and other midi cables to sync with?
Everything works perfectly with Sokkos 2.0 so it's not a problem of cable or drum machine.
I'm using a Korg electribe ER1 and a TB303, I can use the Electribe or the Xoxbox as master.
I'm very happy with Sokkos 2.0 but the swing and the start-stop on Din Sync are great features.
So I'm available for testing.
An help from Sokkan can be useful, and if Chad (Omsk411) agree they could unite their efforts to give us a stable and final firmware realease (that is now sokkos 2.0 IMHO).

Omsk411

Post by Omsk411 »

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to say that I've got a new, working x0xb0x here lovingly built by Christian at x0xsh0p.de so I can finally tackle the firmware issues after a month of downtime. :-)

Thank you all for your reports. They were helpful and I've managed to address two issues so far.

1) MIDI Clock Out now works in PATTERN (SYNC OUT) Mode.

2) I've added a selectable MIDI Clock Sync setting when syncing to incoming MIDI Clock.

About that last issue: When I connected my x0xb0x to my Elektron Octatrack, I found that the x0xb0x was one MIDI Clock tick behind the Octatrack. I "fixed" this problem in my previous firmware versions but never checked it against any other MIDI Clock master devices. After a few of you reported that the x0xb0x seemed to be ahead of the beat, I tried some other devices and found that the results are different depending on what device I use as the MIDI Clock master.

As it turns out, using the Elektron Machinedrum as the MIDI Clock master resulted in my x0xb0x being one MIDI Clock tick ahead of the beat, just like others reported. This points to an issue with the Octatrack since its MIDI Clock output doesn't seem to be exactly the same as the Machinedrum (and likely other devices).

I've therefore made my MIDI Clock "fix" selectable during runtime. By default (on power-up), the fix is not applied. If you find that your x0xb0x syncs properly this way, then you don't need to do anything.

However, if you find that your x0xb0x is behind the beat, turn the Program Selector to the "USER B" position. This will apply my "fix" which makes it run in sync with things like the Octatrack. To turn the "fix" back off, choose "USER A".

NOTE: Keep in mind that, after you choose USER B, you must rotate the Program Selector counter-clockwise to reach your preferred operating mode. If you rotate clockwise, the selector will pass the USER A position which will turn the "fix" off. The same thing is true in the opposite direction: After you choose "USER A", rotate the Program Selector clockwise to reach your preferred operating mode.

I hope everyone finds these fixes beneficial!

-Chad
Attachments

[The extension hex has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

machine.cuisine

Post by machine.cuisine »

Dear Omsk (and Sokk, since it's based off of Sokk 2.0) - I'm very excited to try this out! I'm waiting on a new SMS x0xb0x from across the sea and the first thing I'm gonna do is load up this here 0.94 OS.

I just wanted to say that between Sokk's 2.0 version with triplets and transposition and now your cool dinsync upgrades - I was finally convinced to get a x0xb0x! I can't wait. Thanks for your hard work - and thanks to Sokk of course!!!

The only other feature I would like to see is 32nd notes! Maybe I can take a peep at this sequencer code soon enough.

pangrus

Post by pangrus »

Hi everybody,
Testing 0.94 beta.
When slaved to midi (PATT MIDI SYNC mode) everyhing works now, default mode (USER A) is good for my Electribe Er1. In USER B the Xox is ahead the midi master (weird but true).
Swing works but I can feel only three swing settings, and I have to press the PREV or NEXT button twice to pass from one to the other. Am I wrong?
When Xox is master (PATTERN SYNC OUT), at high swing level, my 303 goes out of sync.

Hope this may help,
Cheers.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”