spokePOV non connection

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mmj

spokePOV non connection

Post by mmj »

Hi,
I have some spoke POV issues.

My SpokePOV turns on,all leds light up in sequence on both sides with led1 on battery side and led6 on other remaining on.

if I move a magnet past the sensor all the leds light up and stay lit until 7 secs or so then all leds turn off, except led1 and led1 on both sides.
If I then press s1 then led1 on battery side stays on and led9 and 30 stay on on other side.
Mounted on rotating wheel with magnet on frame all leds stay on.

I thought maybe I just needed to write to the spokePOV with my usbtinyisb, except I cannot get it to connect:

OS X 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Downloaded SpokePOV software 1.4
Run software, select port-USB
connect usb cable to usbtinyisp to spokePOV
clicking "connect" gives the failed to communicate dialogue, with the prompt to increase to delay. Green led on dongle lit, red led on dongle lit
delay changed in increments of 1000 from 1000-10000 with no success
ran test on on tinyusbisp with jumper in and disconnected from spokePOV hardware with result of success, i.e. all voltages on pins ok.
tried powering spoke hardware with bench supply at 3volts no success
hard reset whilst usb connected no success

visual check on solder points on hardware ok so far
continuity test on jp2 dongle to j2 on spokePOV ok
all ics correctly orientated
all resistor networks ok too
all ic legs fine
Im a bit stumped now, and any input would be most welcome
best wishes
mmj

adafruit_support_bill

Re: spokePOV non connection

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Post photos of the front & back of the boards. We'll put a few more pairs of eyes on it.

mmj

Post by mmj »

ok thanks,
I had issues uploading jpgs so via the magic of flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84542976@N02/
will upload the usb too.

please note- I cut the trace as suggested for the 3rd battery then realised I shouldnt have ('doh!) so i resoldered it. I checked my reconnections' conductivity and all was ok.

mmj

Post by mmj »

thought I'd clarify, the continuity was ok indicating the trace had been re-soldered ok- but the spokePOVs behaviour is as described in first post- all LEDS no usb connection etc

thanks
mmj

adafruit_support_bill

It is hard to see the soldering with the glare from the flash. You will probably get better photos with indirect light near a window in the daytime.

mmj

Post by mmj »

Good morning,
re-uploaded non glare photos, sorry about that.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84542976@N ... otostream/
Many thanks for your time
regards,
mmj

adafruit_support_bill

Those are better. Thanks!

Your soldering looks good - although you should clip those LED leads closer to the board so they don't short out on anything. The green light on the USBTiny indicates that you have a good USB connection to your mac. Make sure you have the programming cable oriented correctly (pin1 to pin 1).

mmj

Post by mmj »

yes i have the cable connected ok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84542976@N ... otostream/
I checked the cable continuity from cable base of usb to base of spokePOV and was ok
wxspoke pov gives connection to port ok, but errors "failed to communicate with spoke pov! you may want to etc"
green led on and red led on constantly, red led flickering when connection attempted

led legs on spoke hardware left long for future removal and modding once its working:)

adafruit_support_bill

Everything looks good from what I can see. Have you tried programming any other devices with the USBTiny?

mmj

Post by mmj »

no, I dont have anything else to connect it to.
Anyway I can check the eeprom is ok?

adafruit_support_bill

No way to check without some communication with the processor. You might go over the processor solder joints one more time. And the programming header too. They look OK from here, but sometimes problems don't show up in the photos.

mmj

Post by mmj »

using the schematic I checked all connections from jumper to eeprom to attiny, Vcc and GND and all ok. Im flummoxed.
The only thing I think is to order another unit, get it working and compare in order to isolate the fault and fix/replace it. Im wanting to use more than one spokePOV anyway.

adafruit_support_bill

Sounds like a reasonable way to proceed. Most problems on these come down to soldering. But your soldering looks better than most.

messigod77

Post by messigod77 »

I have followed what you told to do at https://learn.adafruit.com/spokepov/customize . However, when I pressed 'connect,' this wheel panel which you mentioned didn't showed up in my screen, and therefore I couldn't do it.
Another problem is that the program crashes when I import a BMP image file.
I've tried both Mac OS, Windows with my mac and with a windows PC. Therefore I think that the problem isn't my POV.
Could I please get an answer in 24hours? I have this school festival and I have to solve this problem quickly as possible. Thanks.
Attachments
This is the picture of wxSpoke POV which I mentioned that was missing a wheel panel.
This is the picture of wxSpoke POV which I mentioned that was missing a wheel panel.
spoke pov.tiff (82.59 KiB) Viewed 3257 times

adafruit_support_bill

You will have better luck getting attention for your question if you start a new thread. This one is 3 years old.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”