x0xb0x BOM v1.9 attached (last updated March 6 2009)

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
renepela

Post by renepela »

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know the part number of the flat diffuse LEDS which used to be an option in the kit.

2) Does anyone know the partnumber of the detent tuning knob which used to be an option in the kit. Which part of the bom do I have to replace?

Kind regards,

Rene
The Netherlands

buckyball

Post by buckyball »

Bcbox has confirmed that the 12VAC power adapter on the 1.4 BOM is a mistake. It should be 9VAC.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

I updated to BOM.
changed the power supply description to 9VAC.

brogram

Post by brogram »

Well, I already got the 12V. Dang!
Is it ok to use a 12V AC 500mA on the x0xb0x? Or is it 9 bucks down the drain? :cry:

I have read a few different opinions about this on the forum. Dose anyone know for sure if it's cool? I don't want to fry everything of course. Thanks for your help.

doug wellington

Post by doug wellington »

The regulator will get hotter than normal, and you'll have a slightly higher electricity bill... Make sure you use a really big heat sink on the regulator and you'll probably be fine... I haven't checked, but if the regulator has thermal protection, then it will shut down if it gets too hot. If your x0x stops making noise suddenly, unplug it and wait for it to cool down. If it happens a lot, then you should get a lower voltage power supply...

renepela

Post by renepela »

I tried to order the McMaster parts but it's not working. When I enter the part numbers I also have to enter some addional information about screw/thread sizes. Can anyone help with that or put it in the BOM please?

Kind regards,

Rene

vlady

Post by vlady »

renepela wrote:I tried to order the McMaster parts but it's not working. When I enter the part numbers I also have to enter some addional information about screw/thread sizes. Can anyone help with that or put it in the BOM please?

Kind regards,

Rene
All the specs are listed in the build manual found here:
http://www.ladayada.net/make/x0xb0x . Just go there under Built It! is the entire list inclusing the screw/thread sizes.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

just a few more notes regarding the LED's and resistor values when ordering parts for a kit.
The LED's listed in my BOM are diffuse red LED's as oppossed to the clear red leds that the standard x0xb0x kit ships with. When using a particular LED you will need to determine the corresonding resistor value for the LED chosen to reach desired brightness (without exceeding max current rating).

Below are some of the LED's I've used to this point. Pease add to this with your expereience. It'll help people out when sourcing a kit and selecting LED's and corresponding resistors.

LED resistors in the x0xb0x are:
234,237,241,242,243,244,250,251,252,253,256,260,261,262,266,267,268,238,239,245,246,248,249,258,265,264,203,229,228,227,223,222,221,217,215,213,211,208,205,204
make sure you install the correct resistor in those places corresponding the chosen LED and not necessarily the stock 100k resistors that usually come in Ladyada's kits.

OK, here's my experience,
1. Mouser part# 604-WP7113HD. Red diffuse LED. 2.7k works well.
2. Mouser part # 604-WP1503EC. Red clear LED similar to the one in the most x0xb0x kits, but the color is more watermelon and less red. It works good with 2.7k.
3. Mouser #604-WP7113IT. Red transmissive LED, works good with 2.2k. Viewing angle is not great with these ones.
4. Mouser Part# 604-WP7113MBD. Blue diffuse, works good with 2.2k for a nice deep blue color.
Last edited by bcbox on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

Going through the "latest" 1.6 BOM today. (You should have a version number that gets incremented, or it's really confusing!) Most of it is fine. A bunch of discrepancies that I could get over, except one.

DigiKey CT3011 - ENCODER 2 BIT QUAD SPST W/DETENT

I can't find it nor a replacement. Please help.

The other components that needed changing were: EEPROM unavailable, replaced with the Mouser 25AA320A-I/P. Specs are identical, I'm pretty confident it'll work. 1.5M resitors out of stock. I need one, was forced to order 1,000. It's ok, that comes out as $12. DigiKey however has a lot of problems. The 3.5mm audiojack changed to DigiKey CP-3536. Same thing but with threading. DigiKey P3L2503 -> DigiKey P3H8503, also same thing but with threading. DigiKey GH3074 I have to order from Newark. DigiKey EG1821 is available at Mouser. McMaster was fine except I had to realize to choose 4-40 for standoffs and to find the right screws. Only thing left is the damn 2-bit encoder! :(

phono

Post by phono »

alex_dubinsky wrote:Going through the "latest" 1.6 BOM today. (You should have a version number that gets incremented, or it's really confusing!) Most of it is fine. A bunch of discrepancies that I could get over, except one.

DigiKey CT3011 - ENCODER 2 BIT QUAD SPST W/DETENT

I can't find it nor a replacement. Please help.

The other components that needed changing were: EEPROM unavailable, replaced with the Mouser 25AA320A-I/P. Specs are identical, I'm pretty confident it'll work. 1.5M resitors out of stock. I need one, was forced to order 1,000. It's ok, that comes out as $12. DigiKey however has a lot of problems. The 3.5mm audiojack changed to DigiKey CP-3536. Same thing but with threading. DigiKey P3L2503 -> DigiKey P3H8503, also same thing but with threading. DigiKey GH3074 I have to order from Newark. DigiKey EG1821 is available at Mouser. McMaster was fine except I had to realize to choose 4-40 for standoffs and to find the right screws. Only thing left is the damn 2-bit encoder! :(
theres a similer part, thats identical except it doesnt have detents, do a search its listed on the forum somewhere. I used one on my second build and i actually prefer it without the clicks :)

alex_dubinsky

Post by alex_dubinsky »

Thank you! The part is DigiKey CT3010

static process

Post by static process »

Hey ! Thanks a lot for this BOM list ! It helps a lot !

However, I have few questions...

Why is there 94 271-10K-RC ? It's 54 on the website list.
All the resistor are 1% and it's 5% on the website (i don't know anything about electronic sorry :/ so it's probably a stupid question)

edit : i just realised, is this 40 more resistors are for the leds ? I think i will use the blue type, with the 2.2K resistors (271-2.2K-RC ?) Thanks for the info by the way !

I trie to don't do any mistake in my order because of the shipping in France..... quite expensive I guess :S

phono

Post by phono »

Static Process wrote:Hey ! Thanks a lot for this BOM list ! It helps a lot !

However, I have few questions...

Why is there 94 271-10K-RC ? It's 54 on the website list.
All the resistor are 1% and it's 5% on the website (i don't know anything about electronic sorry :/ so it's probably a stupid question)

edit : i just realised, is this 40 more resistors are for the leds ? I think i will use the blue type, with the 2.2K resistors (271-2.2K-RC ?) Thanks for the info by the way !

I trie to don't do any mistake in my order because of the shipping in France..... quite expensive I guess :S
dont worry about the 1% resistors, you wont notice a difference in sound and yeah the amout of resistors is due to the leds

roland

Post by roland »

hi every one

just looking at the bom amended 12th july

my question-

wats the difference between the top and rear panels listed at the top of the bom for 50$ and the ones listed at the bottom that cost $48 and $15

thanks in advance

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

the ones at the top are from Adafruit. Those are the ones to get, the real silkscreened panels.

The ones on the bottom are quotes for custom parts from Front Panel Express. You wouldn't need to custom order the panels unless the Adafruit shop stops selling them. They've kept good stock for a while now so no problems at this point.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”