Trouble ordering from 4PCB

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sturnfie

Trouble ordering from 4PCB

Post by sturnfie »

Hi all,

This is my first time ordering PCB boards, so I am hoping my trouble is from a lack of understanding (and that someone here can help me out).

I am attempting to place an order for RC1a using the pre-tiled gerber files that the little lady put together. My problem is, I can't figure out how to successfully do this. 4PCB seems to require that I go through their FreeDFM thing first, but I am having trouble accurately labeling each of the files in the Gerber zip file.

I am assuming every piece of information they need is included in these files.....is there a conversion I am supposed to do prior to sending in the files?

--
BANNED

EDIT: FreeDFM not FreeDRM (albeit ironic, no?)

sturnfie

Post by sturnfie »

There is another thread on this topic: http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3182

The recommended solution was to contact a sales rep.

As for my own attempts, I got FreeDFM to accept the files and am waiting to hear back on a report. I found the information I "needed" using Gerbview and wikipedia:

http://www.softwarecompanions.com/gerbview.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerber_File

--
BANNED

sturnfie

Post by sturnfie »

The report I got back when using www.4PCB.com indicated that it would cost me $400 a unit for a single unit, or $135 each for 3!!! Tooling costs aside, that was a bit more than what I would find reasonable.

Luckly, www.33each.com was mentioned, and although it seems to be the same company, I was able to get 3 sets of the boards for $114.

--
BANNED

budzeg

Post by budzeg »

hey stunfie pls can you tell me the dimensions you put for the board while ordering on 33each?
thanks

MightyGuru

Post by MightyGuru »

I used 82mm x 210mm. FYI - 33each gave me a hassle with having all 4 boards in one. They wanted to charge me an extra $50. After speaking with a sales rep. he waived the fee and approved the order. So far they have been excellent to work with.

ewo

Post by ewo »

sturnfie,

1. What did you come up with for the file descriptions?

I just came across this project and have been trying to order the PCB boards through www.33each.com. I didn't find the answers in the webpages you posted.

2. Are the files on the website ready to be sent to 33each as is, or do they need to be converted?

I tried calling the 1-800 # but was sent back to the webpage.

3. I am using the 4" by 12.8 inch dimensions. Is this correct?

4. Does anyone have a screen shot of their order for the PCB boards and components?

MightyGuru

Post by MightyGuru »

1 - File extensions:

Software: Eagle File Extension Description
cmp Top Copper
sol Bottom Copper
stc Top Soldermask
sts Bottom Soldermask
plc Top Silkscreen
pls Bottom Silkscreen
drd NC Drill

Software: Orcad File Extension Description
top Top Copper
bot Bottom Copper
smt Top Soldermask
smb Bottom Soldermask
sst Top Silkscreen
ssb Bottom Silkscreen
thruhole.tap NC Drill

Software: Protel File Extension Description
gtl Top Copper
gbl Bottom Copper
gts Top Soldermask
gbs Bottom Soldermask
gto Top Silkscreen
gbo Bottom Silkscreen
drl NC Drill

2 - The files can be sent as-is

3 - Per my previous post: 82mm(3.23") X 210mm(8.27")

4 - no

treepcb

Re: Trouble ordering from 4PCB

Post by treepcb »

We supply one stop pcb&pcba service, our professional and skilled team will work out time critical,high performance pcb&pcba solutions quickly after understanding your specific requests.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”