MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ioth

Re: MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Post by ioth »

Ah okay cool, gonna test that out.

One more question, does it mean anything if not all LEDs light up on startup?
When I have it at home most of the time all the leds light, but when I carry it around, e.g. for gigs,
everytime I turn it on different leds are lit.
I admit this kinda worries me haha...

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

The LED status on startup is more or less random.
It is how the flip flops in the HC594 driver shift registers are coming up.

I have made a mod on my x0xb0x to fix that: the /EN pins of the 594s are connected to pin 2 (was free) of the CPU and a pullup resistor. So the LEDs stay off until the CPU drives that pin low. Old firmware does that during port initialization (reducing the problem), my firmware does it after it set the registers for the first time.

Tray

Post by Tray »

Hi,

MarOS seems very cool.

Is the documentation zip file on the very 1st post the latest documentation file?

If not, can you post a link to the latest manual?

Thanks!

ioth

Post by ioth »

Hey Tray
The manual at the beginning of the post is only for the firmware that is linked directly below it. The most actual firmware is in a post somewhere and as far as I know there is no manual already. But ask Nordcore, he did all the work.
But anyway, the manual describes the functiond pretty accurately, not soo many obvious things have been changed (mostly bug fixes and finetuning). If Nordcore doesnt habe a manual yet, you could also just go through the posts, all the updates have been listed there.

Cheers, ioth

ioth

Post by ioth »

Oh and Nordcore,
Good work on the last version. I use it pretty extensively and i didnt encounter any bugs (apart from some minor led glitches)

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Here is a preliminary version of my manual.
One or two pages are still missing: for the play mode.

.. and expect an updated software today evening (... my time = UTC+2).
DIN sync in was broken, LEDs reworked a little.
Attachments
MarOs-User Manual-2017-08-22.pdf
(496.53 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

nordcore for president! Mate youve put so much time and effort into this, thanks so much.

sadly ive been so stupidly busy recently i havent had time to rebuild my pc. will do this asap. or try and use another pc.

thanks again!

Tray

Post by Tray »

Nordcore wrote:Here is a preliminary version of my manual.
Awesome! Thanks!

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

And here is the next version
  • Step (Cursor) modes cleaned up (reset/start them properly in all cases)
  • new Cursor blinking.
  • Cursor position and mode kept during R/S
  • DIN-SYNC IN fixed, now it sees the clock again... (got lost around 173)
  • DIN-SYNC IN, key RUN/STOP now works as in MIDI sync mode (= Start/Stop is done on next bar)
  • DAC/Port-Test-Mode on "EDIT TRACK" Switch position.
"Cursor" is the (LED) position of the current "step to edit" in step edit modes.

Port pin test mode, only useful for hardware debugging: KEY1...5=switch DAC-Bits. NEXT:Trigger CV-Latch, ACCENT & SLIDE: Set accent/slide port pins. RUN/STOP=GATE ON/OFF
Attachments

[The extension hex has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Finally fixed my pc. Had a bit of a nightmare loading the firmware for some reason, bricked it at one point, but cold light of day got it running! superb! Thanks so much. Accent out on midi confirmed fixed (sure you knew but thought id state). Randomiser and gate length are worth their weight in gold as it is, not really played with much else.

thanks so much once more !

cheers
Ben

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Good to hear that you got it up and running again...

This firmware has a CRC checksum check build in. Unfortunately I can't check anything during the flash procedure, as the bootloader is fixed.
When the program starts (power up) in "normal" operating modes it checks for the proper checksum. If this check fails there is not much to do: I just know that the firmware was not flashed properly and might show random erratic behavior. So the "DOWN" and "DONE" LEDs are turned on, and the firmware goes into an endless loop doing nothing.
The only thing one can do than is to power down, switch to BOOTLOAD and try the flash procedure again.

antto

Post by antto »

a small suggestion:
if you can, use some blink pattern at least, to show that the device is actually "ticking" and trying to say something, and not simply "frozen"

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Good idea, will check how many bytes that will cost and if I can make that fit into the code.
(ATM the CRC is 92 bytes extra ... )

My x0xb0x is modded, so it does not come up with that annoying random LED pattern thing, so on my box it is very clear what is going on.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

yeah, when i came to post i read back a couple of pages and found the detail about those two lights coming on. thats exactly what it did.

cheers

fwiw what i think went wrong was this;

i uploaded the maros with contr0l
forgetting to change out of bootloader mode, i loaded BANNED to see what thats all about. i gather you shouldnt do this in bootload mode !
lights went out comlpetely and wouldnt restart with usb plug in.
tried various times to reupload firmware, got the two lights detailed above.
gave up for the night then tried again next morning (in contr0l), worked second time.
seems to works perfectly now.

so i think it may have something to do with messing around in bootloader mode in conb0x?

either way up and running now. many thanks!
ben

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

I think it was just a simple not properly flashed program. That happens from time to time. In fact it happens that often, that I would prefer a 32 bit CRC ... but the code space restriction does not allow that. (The 8 bit CRC is the one already needed by the computer control code, so a good part of it comes for free... )

Switching to and from BOOTLOADER whilst powered up does nothing. The decision for BOOTLOADER oder normal code is done only once a few milliseconds after power on.
The only thing you can handle wrong during update is to switch power off or unplug the USB cable. Then there is a not complete program in your x0x. Which might crash in older versions and go to "DOWN and DONE" in newer ones.
(The check code is intentionally placed in the beginning of the firmware, so there is a high probability that it is written properly. Most programming errors are lost characters - and everything after such a lost byte is broken/will crash. )

BTW: It is not possible to break the boot loader with the update procedure.
The boot code has a separate code space (a whopping 512 bytes) which can only be written by a hardware programming device.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”