Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Sansa Express
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Sansa Express

by todd on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:19 am

I had seen the comment on the main page that one user reported an incompatibility with the Sandisk Sansa player - but decided to take the chance.

I have the Sandisk Sansa Express (which charges via usb directly to the PC normally).

I used the recommended "pullup" setting for the 2nd resistor.

When I plug the player into the mintyboost (while its off) nothing happens - no charging icon. However if I turn the player on and plug it in then the charging animated icon of the battery filling up will come on. However from this state I'm then unable to turn off the player until I remove it from the charger.

I haven't yet run the battery in the player down low and then tried to charge with the player on.

Also if I plug the player into another PC, it doesn't ask me to install a driver, however it does try to connect initially (I'm guessing as an external drive) before switching to a charging mode after 10 - 15 seconds.
todd

by adafruit on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:36 am

wow thanks for the writeup. let me know if its 'actually' charging the device, that would be very useful to know! :)
i dont know what you mean by "turning the device off" does that mean you have to play music while its charging?

adafruit

Sansa Express

by todd on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:00 am

Great question, I wasn't very clear to someone who isn't using the same device.

While it is turn on and charging - the player doesn't have to be playing music, and the screen can turn off (after the time out period if you don't hit any buttons), however it is still on waiting for you to press a button (in which case the screen will light up again).

If you hit a button the screen will turn back on and you see the animated charging icon still moving.

By the way I'm very impressed by the speed of your reply!? It's 1am on a Friday night - quite the high level of tech support!
todd

by todd on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:39 pm

As a follow up to my earlier post.

I managed to charge up the Sansa Express, this is the procedure:

1) Turn the device on before plugging into the usb port
2) Plug into USB port on the MintyBoost
3) Wait while it charges (if the screen turns off, just hit a button to turn the screen back on).

Well some other things:

The display will turn off (after the timeout period) and the unit will still charge.

The device will not Auto Power Off while it is plugged in and charging.

It took about 45 minutes to charge from 1/2 charge to 3/4 charge.
todd

Further confirmation

by trianglman on Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:44 am

I just built this today and tested it on a Sandisk Sansa e250 following this writeup and had no issues.

Thanks for a great kit ladyada.
If it isn't broke, you aren't trying hard enough.
trianglman

Re: Sansa Express --> lotsa Sansa stuff!

by CookingFiend on Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 pm

I just got my mintyboost kit, which I'm looking forward to building for my Sandisk Sansa e250. I was stoked to hear someone else built one and it worked for them as is (though I'm not surprised).

Three things, if I may (and apologies in advance for any of this you already know about):

1. The Sansa Express and the e250 someone mentioned above are *totally* different animals. It's worth mentioning the e250 on its own as a model that works with the Mintyboost (also, I believe the e200 series differ in hardware only in the amount of built-in RAM). Sandisk puts out a ton of MP3 players, but the e200's are a particularly popular model for reasons that follow...

2. The e200's run Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org), which is an open-source jukebox firmware that's the primary reason I got mine-- it adds all kinds of neat functionality waaaay beyond the proprietary firmware specs, including support for up to 32-gig microSD cards(!), and tons of apps and functionality-- it's a really spiffy project! I mention this because Rockbox supports (and identifies) large families of MP3 players; you might find some info there helpful in both identifying specific units as well as some of the compatibility issues that have come up (mainly on the manuals page, which lists families of players, but also the forums).

3. I'd expect all of the players that work with Rockbox to work with the Mintyboost, as they tend to be of "friendly" hardware, but I bet there's folks at the site who'd be happy to test this! The folks there are of a like mind for DIY stuff, and I'd imagine that talking with them might provide some handy common ground for folks who know of either of your projects-- if nothing else, everybody there uses MP3 players that hook up via USB and if they don't know about your product(s), I bet they'd love to find out about them...

Either way, thanks bunches for the wealth of info on your site and I look forward to more!

CookingFiend

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.