SokkOS, new modified firmware

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zbr

Re: SokkOS, new modified firmware

Post by zbr »

I've just flashed SokkOS in and if fckn ROCKS.
The instrument is SO much better with it in.
Thanks a lot!

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Sokkan, where do you drink you beer?
I see you live in Stockholm, so do I.

I commit to buying you beer as a small gesture for you contributing with sokkos. :)
Thank you.

phono

Post by phono »

xlarge wrote:Sokkan, where do you drink you beer?
I see you live in Stockholm, so do I.

I commit to buying you beer as a small gesture for you contributing with sokkos. :)
Thank you.
i'd buy him a beer also but I'm in skåne

jgb

Post by jgb »

SokkOS mentioned in x0xb0x review in Sound on Sound. Very favourable mention. :)

decoder23

Post by decoder23 »

hi, i have a problem with this firmware. i uploaded it, and control wrote it was successfull. all functions are working except the loop function :(
i allrdy uploaded it 3 times, but this function never works. hope someone has an idea what i could try to solve this.

cheers

altitude

Post by altitude »

Loop only works in pattern play (sync out)mode..
Last edited by altitude on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

decoder23 wrote:hi, i have a problem with this firmware. i uploaded it, and control wrote it was successfull. all functions are working except the loop function :(
i allrdy uploaded it 3 times, but this function never works. hope someone has an idea what i could try to solve this.
cheers
Just to make sure: press and HOLD the "DONE" button, then press two different buttons for your start and stop, then release "DONE".

If it still doesn't work, are you sure your "DONE" button works? Have you tried saving patterns?

If the other functions i added in the firmware works there is no need to upload it again, there must be another problem.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

By the way,

I added some stuff to the firmware a while ago. I didn't post it here for several reasons, waiting to see if the new CPU project took off among other.

Now, I am thinking of posting it anyway, it has triplets, MIDI transpose and transpose in edit mode. (*)
I still have a shitload(190 bytes) of code space left and I am thinking of adding sysex load/dump of patterns to eliminate the need of the pesky USB driver and all of the problems with it. I need a bit more than 190 bytes for that so it might take a while.

(*) I took away the apparently undocumented feature where you could enter notes in a fast way without pressing next since I needed a button press combination for toggling between regular 16ths and 8th triplets.

Oh, antto, if you are reading this, I still believe you could fit your code into the current CPU. I saved 500 bytes by playing with the compiler options. You do have to optimize quite heavy to minimize code size. If you are brave I believe moving to using llvm would do wonders. (Or a commercial compiler.)

Please comment on my ideas. :)

altitude

Post by altitude »

welcome back! :D

new features sound great..

antto

Post by antto »

i did find some compiler options that minimized the size quite
like.. i did some new led functions, at first i made em "inlined" but then i realized this is very bad in this case
i used some compiler option (iirc) to try not to inline any functions

well, no, my sequencer won't fit in the original CPU
even if i was an optimization GURU..

we're both waiting for the CPU mod ;]
*TEXTILEEEEE* :mrgreen:

Luap

Post by Luap »

Hey Sokkan, thats great to hear that you are still working on updates 8) I figured since you had run out of space that you had given up! :oops:
A quick question if I may.. Did you ever figure out what caused the bug where the action of the Rest/Accent/Slide buttons would occasionally stick when used live? Because other than that, I found the firmware to be perfect already. Although it would be fun to try new features too of course.

Brassteacher

Post by Brassteacher »

I think adding sysex would be an awesome thing! Just saying...

decoder23

Post by decoder23 »

Sokkan wrote:
decoder23 wrote:hi, i have a problem with this firmware. i uploaded it, and control wrote it was successfull. all functions are working except the loop function :(
cheers
Just to make sure: press and HOLD the "DONE" button, then press two different buttons for your start and stop, then release "DONE".

If it still doesn't work, are you sure your "DONE" button works? Have you tried saving patterns?

If the other functions i added in the firmware works there is no need to upload it again, there must be another problem.
i am not sure now , but i think i pressed only 1 button while holding done, maybe cause i am used to the acidlab bassline :roll: i'll give it a try when i am back home.
the done button works, half tempo, saving and so on is working.
btw, thx sokkan for this nice firmware :)

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Sokkan wrote:By the way,
Please comment on my ideas. :)
Oh! Ooh! Triplets! The only feature i'm missing in SokkOS. NICE!
Please post it :)

decoder23

Post by decoder23 »

ok, it seems that i rly just pressed 1 key while holding done, thx for pointing this out. playing around since 3 hours now :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”