BETA TEST: Windows 8 Signed Trinket/Gemma/USBTiny Drivers

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

BETA TEST: Windows 8 Signed Trinket/Gemma/USBTiny Drivers

Post by adafruit »

Hi there, are you using Windows 8? Wanna try out our snazzzzy new signed drivers? We have it working but we'd like some more tests! Check out the driver zip below and let us know if it does or doesn't work. :mrgreen:

http://adafruit.com/downloads/usbtiny_signed_8.zip

If you're having a problem with your Trinket in general, please make a new thread. We're looking for just driver feedback here - if you can't install it, Windows crashes (unlikely!), etc.

osbock

Re: BETA TEST: Windows 8 Signed Trinket/Gemma/USBTiny Driver

Post by osbock »

OK,
I've been struggling with this for a while (more hours that I care to think about). I keep getting unrecognized USB device, etc.
Note: I've read just about every post here, and while I'm not a Windows device driver expert, I am an expert user.
I uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.

In desperation I went over to Linux, and in spite of avrdude warning/errors, it seemed to program ok.
I had trouble getting permissions to work using the instructions on the USBTiny linux page, and so I dug deep into the
mysterious world of udevadm info
What I found out was interesting, and led me to try an experiment on windows: I was trying to match for USBTiny, and the device was actually reporting itself as Trinket!
So, back to windows (8.1) and I edited the INF file from this thread to replace USBTiny with Trinket, threw out the security catalog, and installed in "ignore drivers signature mode" and...
IT WORKED! (much celebration!) so... you really might want to try this, and if it works for you (adafruit) It would probably be good to release a new signed package.

I think my particular version of Windows 8.1 was trying to match both the vendor/product IDs and the name and was getting confused. Having previously installed a USBTiny (actual) may have added to windows problems.
Attachments
Trinket.txt
Rename to Trinket.inf
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

The process may work best if you uninstall any older driver before installing the signed driver.

Also post if you had issues and the new files work please.

If you can post your version of Windows and 32 bit vs. 64 bit operating system (displayed under Control Panel -> System). Some PCs are 64 bit capable but use the 32 bit OS (like my Dell Venue 8 Pro), chose the version for what Windows is and not the processor.

32 bit is often called x86 (after the 80486 processor of old) and 64 bit processor AMD64 or x64 (actually AMD came up with the first PC compatible 64 bit processor and Intel quickly caught up). Never select IA64 which is the old, old Intel 64 bit architecture that never caught on except in some servers.

osbock's post is somewhat curious. For Win8, Microsoft changed the use of the ".cat" file. The information from the ".inf" is encoded in binary to the ".cat" and then if a driver is signed, the information is also added to the ".cat" file. Also, the Device Manager displaying Trinket is a function of what the device sends, not the .inf file as you look at the old driver vs. beta and both do not enumerate Trinket, only USBtiny which is from the USBtinyISP which is what the Trinket and Gemma loader uses as the USB ID belongs to Adafruit and the Arduino IDE has support for that programmer built-in. Not using the cat file eliminates the signature.

Others have found the driver to be stable.
Last edited by AnneBarela on Sun May 18, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kindafearless

Post by kindafearless »

It worked for me! I was a little surprised actually, I've been trying to get this thing working in windows, so I don't have to restart in Ubuntu all the time, for like 3 months now.

I actually think the format of my machine is what made it work. I started new again, since I had installed pretty much every other version of this driver, and it installed and recognized my Gemma right away.

It was pretty simple, I downloaded the driver, ran the installer, then just to be sure right click and installed USBtiny. Then I plugged my Gemma in and it's recognized in device manager under the libusb-win32 devices category.

I just loaded blink and it works! Thanks you guys, I'm soooo freaking excited to finally program on it in windows <3

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

vj03

Post by vj03 »

This driver worked for me installing it through the device manager. Running Win 8.1 x64. Thanks for your work and dedication. :D

ydna

Post by ydna »

Doesn't work on x64 running on windows 8.1 what can you do? My error is "avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)"

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

Plug Trinket in a USB 2 port. Go to windows control panel and device manager. Find the device that has the yellow triangle next to it, right click and get to where you can update the driver. Point that to the directory where you unzipped all the files.

TXGlen

Post by TXGlen »

I have read through this thread and have zero success.

I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

When I plugged the Trinket in the first time, it showed up under device manager in Other Devices as Trinket.

First I disabled the signed driver requirement and tried the 1.12 and 1.12.1.0 drivers. The first time that I tried it, it asked the typical question Are you sure etc... and then completed but reported that the device could not start. Resetting the device moved the device from Other Devices to LibUSB-Win32 Devices and called it USBTiny. I had hoped that this had worked but there was no indication of which serial port was assigned to the device. As expected, under the Arduino IDE, I could not select a serial port.

I uninstalled the drivers with the check box to delete the driver files and tried again with the 1.12.1.0 drivers with the same result.

I came across this thread, downloaded the Beta software with the same results.

I tried the suggestion of changing the .inf file, with the same results.

I am completely out of ideas at this point. Would you please help?

Thanks,

Glen

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

Help narrow the issue - is the driver refusing to install in Windows? Or is the Arduino IDE throwing an error and if so which ones?

TXGlen

Post by TXGlen »

The driver installs but reports that it encountered a problem "The device cannot start. (Code 10). Resetting the Trinket removed the yellow caution icon in front of the name, but there is no notation of a serial port assigned to the device.

Inside the Arduino IDE, under the tools section, I can select the board, but the option to select a serial port is grayed out. It seems like the device is not associated assigned to a serial port.

Glen

TXGlen

Post by TXGlen »

Here is another update... After no luck in Windows 8.1 I moved to a Windows 7 laptop and gave it a try.

The Arduino IDE still has the Tools-Serial Port grayed out. If I try to upload a sketch anyway, the IDE reports "avrdude usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"".

Any thoughts?

Glen

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

This would not appear to be a driver issue. The Trinket is not like a normal Arduino in that there is no serial interface chip so no COM port will be associated with it. You cannot select a serial port as the upload is via the USBtiny driver. Make sure in Tools->Programmer you have USBtinyISP selected as the programmer. Plug in Trinket via USB and go to Control Panel->Devices and Printers where you should see Trinket as an Unspecified icon. If that icon has a yellow triangle, you have driver issues, if not your driver is working and you need to upload per the Introducing Trinket tutorial. It's different than Uno but not impossible.

TXGlen

Post by TXGlen »

Ah, the choice of programmer was the problem. Thanks for the help!!

Glen

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

These drivers also are designed to work for XP (32 bit), Vista, and Win7 as well as Win 8 and Win 8.1 (32 and 64 bit), just select the correct 32 bit or 64 bit, again best to install via the Control Panel.

flickerfly

Post by flickerfly »

Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD A10-4600M APU
64-bit

This works more dependably than the unsigned driver. I was not able to get the unsigned driver to work at all if I didn't boot into the unsigned driver mode, even after having installed it. I had to completely uninstall the old unsigned driver in order to get this one to work. I used the included installer to install the driver after having some trouble getting it to install over top of the previous unsigned drivers.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”