SpokePOV maximum speed?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Buck123

SpokePOV maximum speed?

Post by Buck123 »

Hello everyone, I am designing a prototype machine for mining industry and I am very interested in SpokePOV and what it can do for us, but since I am not planning to use it as intended I decided to ask you some questions before buying it and trying it out.

I am thinking of a spokePOV unit mounted on a steel flywheel like this:

The flywheels will be spinning at 300 RPM, and the first (inside) LED would be around 300mm (or 12in) from the axis of rotation (I am happy enough with a doughnut shape display). Meaning it will be travelling at around 34 Km/h. Now this is much faster when compared to the bike. So here are the questions:
Do you think the device will be capable to run at this speed? If its even better faster how many boards would I need? Would one suffice or do I need multiple because of the diameter of the flywheel?

Now assuming It will work and I am happy with the quality if the display, I would want more features than a static image. For example flywheel RPM, current time, amount of time it has been running, an image flashing up every "X" amount of hours it has been running for "X" amount of minutes. Obviously I would need more memory and more complicated programming to do something like that, Is anybody here able to point me in the right direction? Also I would like to power it from a 12V battery on the machine, probably using a cable slip ring so I don't rip off the cables. I would prefer paying someone to design the above version, so if you have experience and are interested don't hesitate contacting me.

Anyway, I hope you understand where I'm going with this. I Really like what you guys are doing here and hope you can help me out, my background is in mechanical engineering and I have little expertise in electrics.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: SpokePOV maximum speed?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Actually 300rpm is about what a road bike does at 24mph. Although I haven't tried it, I'm fairly confident the SpokePOV can handle that speed. One SpokePOV ought to be plenty at 300rpm.

Displaying real-time data will require modifications to the firmware, and you'll probably want to add a real-time clock module to the hardware. The source code for the firmware is available here:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/download.html

For engineering help, you welcome to post on our Jobs board, here:
http://adafruit.com/jobs/

Buck123

Re: SpokePOV maximum speed?

Post by Buck123 »

Thanks a lot for a swift reply Rick. I have placed an order and will give it a shot.

I will keep you up to date with the progress!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”