Analog clock out mod?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
antto

Re: Analog clock out mod?

Post by antto »

the TEMPO LED? that's a very dirty hack
it'll "work" depending on the firmware
i think starting from the stock firmware (and including sokkos) there is a LED blink bug when the x0xb0x is slaved
there is a "backup blink" generator in the code which is supposed to be turned ON if there's no clock source
this mechanism is OFF when the x0xb0x is master (in internal sync mode) but it happens to be ON when the x0x is in external sync mode, thus you get blinking from the external clock AND blinking from this backup blink mechanism, which would render the dirty hack useless

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Changing the DIN-Sync output to deliver the desired signal would be a simple firmware hack.
The CPU has some spare output pins left, even easier to use one of these.

The suggested 4017 circuit does not work, as it does not sync to "Start". So your 16th pulses will be anywhere between the proper locations.

DIN-Sync clock is 24 pulses per quarter = 6 pulses per 16th note. If you just divide it down, the output does come every 6th. pulse, but they can sit everywhere.
So you have to reset the counter with the DIN-Sync start signal. (Which is also available on the jack. )

The clock led is 1/4th notes (1/8 on, 1/8 off), to get that from DIN-Sync you would need a divide by 24.

I'd spend my time on firmware rather than figuring out which CMOS chips will do that best. AFAIR there are single counter chips (.. could not resist googling: 74HC4520...) which can do that - maybe one extra logic gate part.

In fact I'm working on the sokkos/maros to get things cleaned up a little ... having such an output seems an useful feature ... but don't hold your breath.
The DIN-Sync plug has *four* signals connected, two are being really used. So two left for other purposes, requiring just an external adapter w/o too much configuration involved: just on/off switch, so a plain full cable to some Roland gear does not confuse it.
(Note: Having features switchable is a very bad thing: it eats up precious code space in the controller. )

rv0

Post by rv0 »

x0xlarge + n0nx0x2 comes with analog clock outs
XSync:
http://antonsavov.net/cms/projects/n0nx ... html#xsync

I use it all the time with my Korg Monotribe

blackout

Post by blackout »

Nordcore wrote:Changing the DIN-Sync output to deliver the desired signal would be a simple firmware hack.
The CPU has some spare output pins left, even easier to use one of these.
You had me thinking just now, and I apologize for the side track, but I think this would be a super neat addition to the sequencer on the x0x. I am not sure if this would be a firmware or a hardware modification.
Would it be possible to set up a Trigger input that would advance the sequencer by 1 step during play, and not as preferable although still cool - a gate that would only let the sequencer run when it is high. Similar features are found on the ARP Sequencer and I'd love to see the same thing happening on the powerful x0x sequencer.

If I can further explain my creative inspiration; My idea was to clock out the tempo from the x0x to trigger time altering gates/triggers on my modular. Then the plan would be to feed this back into the x0x sequencer.

rv0

Post by rv0 »

^ thats exactly what xsync can do

blackout

Post by blackout »

darffader wrote:^ thats exactly what xsync can do
The sync mods are great, I like that you are able to choose the speed. Although I was referring to the step trigger as an input, controlling the x0x sequencer.

rv0

Post by rv0 »

oh i understand now

that would not be so simple because you need a much higher clock resolution

possible= yes
reliable= no

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”