Analog clock out mod?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
analogstatic

Analog clock out mod?

Post by analogstatic »

Has anyone successfully added an analog clock out from the x0xb0x? I have some midi sync'd equipment driving the tempo of the x0xb0x. And I have an analog sequencer that can take an external analog clock sync.

Right now, I'm able to successfully sync the x0xb0x with the sequencer using the the x0xb0x's gate out. But of course the sync goes all to hell when using non-metronomic patterns or patterns with slides. Plus I'd like to be able to use the gate out elsewhere in my kit. This seems like a simple enough mod, so I'm surprised I haven't it found it implemented yet.

Thanks!

gzifcak

Post by gzifcak »

basically you could do it from the dinsync output, but if you want 16th notes you'd have to divide the clock by 3. easily accomplished with a cd4017. in fact, then you could have a rotary switch to choose different divisions of the clock.

gzifcak

Post by gzifcak »

i would probably just make it a separate box though if i were you: dinsync in, clock out.

analogstatic

Post by analogstatic »

ah that's a good idea. i'm not familiar with dinsync output, so i guess i should probe the pins. but yes, chaining a clock divider in a separate box off the dinsync would give me the most flexibility. thanks!

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

basically you could do it from the dinsync output, but if you want 16th notes you'd have to divide the clock by 3. easily accomplished with a cd4017
I agree. Use a 4017 it's the cheapest and easiest part to use for this purpose. I think I remember from doing my mod you divide by 6. You can also use the din sync start/stop to reset the counter.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

...I also think I recall having some other logic in there - or else the sync was one step behind. I look it up when I get a chance.

octelcogopod

Post by octelcogopod »

bcbox wrote:
basically you could do it from the dinsync output, but if you want 16th notes you'd have to divide the clock by 3. easily accomplished with a cd4017
I agree. Use a 4017 it's the cheapest and easiest part to use for this purpose. I think I remember from doing my mod you divide by 6. You can also use the din sync start/stop to reset the counter.
I looked at the specs for the 4017 and I still don't understand how you can use it to divide a clock. Am I missing some clever use of the reset pin?
As I understand it, you get an output pulse for every input pulse, just on different pins. No two outputs are active at the same time, so they're all outputting 1/10th the input pulses. All it does is shift the phase...

gzifcak

Post by gzifcak »

if you connect the pin for output 7 to the reset pin, the counter will reset after counting to 6. then you just take the pulse from output 1 and it's the input clock divided by 6.

octelcogopod

Post by octelcogopod »

gzifcak wrote:if you connect the pin for output 7 to the reset pin, the counter will reset after counting to 6. then you just take the pulse from output 1 and it's the input clock divided by 6.
Ah! I wasn't sure how the reset pin worked, but I knew it had something to do with that. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll see if I can put up the schematics for a simple sync divider up on the wiki...

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

here's what it would look like...including a dirty trigger out derived from the gate out. You'll also need to take Run/Stop to the 4017 as well so that it will run and stop when you press the start/stop button..it's 0v when sequencer stopped and 5v when running. This is the node labeled DINSYNC1 in the x0xb0x schematic.

octelcogopod

Post by octelcogopod »

Why are the pins labeled like that? :?

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

Why are the pins labeled like that?
it corresponds to the x0xb0x schematic.

There's a node labeled DINSYNC4 on the schematic
This is where you take the 24ppqn tempo clock from.
This would be the input to your converter box.

Gate Out is the new 1/16th note output that would go to a gate in of your analog sequencer or any other gear.
Trigger Out is simply the new 1/16th note output that would go to a trigger input of an analog sequencer or any other gear.

[edit] If you're referring to the 4017 check the datasheet for the pin configuration

octelcogopod

Post by octelcogopod »

bcbox wrote:
Why are the pins labeled like that?
[edit] If you're referring to the 4017 check the datasheet for the pin configuration
Why is there Q0 to Q9 seperately and then a pin marked "Q5-9"? Sorry, I've never seen this kind of notation before in schematics

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

Why is there Q0 to Q9 seperately and then a pin marked "Q5-9"?
You'll have to look at the data sheet for details. Q5/Q9 is the 'CARRY OUT', usually used when cascading stages where the carry out signal enables the clock on the next stage.
In our application you don't have to worry about any of this stuff, all we're doing is counting to six.

blackout

Re: Analog clock out mod?

Post by blackout »

Wouldn't pin 5 on IC4 work as a clock output?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”