MIDISENSE: midi thru?

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nym

MIDISENSE: midi thru?

Post by nym »

eventually, i plan to link 2+ midisense units at home. rather than take up 2 midi inputs on my midi interface, i'd love to run 1 midisense through the other.

similarly, i am using midisense in among other midi controller gear. it would improve flexibility to be able to stick midisense anywhere into my chain and allow the rest of the info to pass thru.

i can envision the confusion this may cause with callibration. i would be happy to have to disconnect the different midisenses in order to callibrate them separately. however, that may not be necessary based on the concept of midi thru.

is this a possibility? will we see this feature implemented in a future version?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ive tried a few times to implement it but it just seems like -too much work- for the chip to handle without freaking. ill try again soon but it was very flakey...

nym

Post by nym »

hm, that's too bad. i definitely wouldn't trade performance degradation for midi thru.

what about the possibility of a "2 in 1" midisense?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

what would that be?

nym

Post by nym »

haha sorry.

well, the idea would be a single unit with perhaps double the inputs. single power supply, single set of midi in/outs. perhaps even more analog ins rather than so many buttons.

i reckon it shouldn't be that much harder for the user to build than 6 a x 5 d adio

and 6, 12, perhaps even 24, know what i mean?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

at this time, i dont have such a thing planned.

jim

Post by jim »

maybe midisense could work in one of two modes.

sensor/relay mode: sensors signal out/relay sensors.

midi mode: sensor signal mix/midi out.

same hardware, different firmware for different modes.

if more than one midisense is connected daisy chain like, each additional midisense only works in sensor/relay mode; transmits it's own senses and the senses of any other midisense further up the chain.

i'm guessing that the part of the work that freaks the chip is having to deal with a five pin midi input signal in addition to doing what it was going to do anyway.
so i imagine a one pin output sensor signal per midisense in sensor/relay mode. if using a midi cable, you can have a maximum of 5 midisense signals in sensor/relay mode; one for each pin of the midi cable.

i can dream

InkyTheHooloovoo

Re: MIDISENSE: midi thru?

Post by InkyTheHooloovoo »

It seems like connecting them in a daisy chain is out of the question, but an alternative would be to buy a midi merger. I know that midi solutions has one that is powered by the midi connection (http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm).

nym

Re: MIDISENSE: midi thru?

Post by nym »

yeah i just ended up getting a motu micro lite. 5 inputs. i'm good. i have 2 midisenses + a radium49 + an mpc1000 + energyxt. i've had a LOT of configuration to do but finally got something really badass

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”