ProTrinket Problems

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Virgil_Machine

Re: ProTrinket Problems

Post by Virgil_Machine »

WOW!

I got it to work on Windows 8.1. Windows 7 still has issues recognizing the device, etc. The sketch I'm working with is fairly large: about 21.4K. It takes the IDE a while to compile, so by the time it gets to uploading the bootloader is no longer active. If I wait to push the reset button, it works.

I still think the device recognition is flaky, particularly in Win7, but this *may* work.

I hope this saves someone else some pain in the future.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I'll report this thread to engineering. Thanks!

But it's worth noting that my Pro Trinket works fine on Win 7 (32-bit).

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

Sooo I should upload my code and then hit the reset button after the error?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Hiya, we did all our development/testing (about 3 months worth) on windows 7 x64 so we dont think its a native win7 issue. We're always listening to customer support/refunds/returns for fairly new products to see if there's issues. So we are keeping an eye on this!

Each Pro Trinket is checked for enumeration during test, but it may be a computer/os/cable combination issue. If you are not able to get your Pro Trinkets going, email support@adafruit and they'll refund your order

If your compile time is longer than the bootloader timeout, click upload then press the reset button after a second or two

Alternatively, you can always use an FTDI Friend/Cable to upload! The bootloader will autodetect FTDI uploads and FTDI uploads will autoreset right before uploading, like an Uno :)

Hope that helps!

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

I think I'll try everything I can before getting a refund for the protrinkets. I'll purchase an ftdi cable

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

Sooo I should upload my code and then hit the reset button after the error?
No. as Rick said, let it start compiling and press the button before it uploads. This can be a pain, because at least on my system, reset causes the USB connection to go away and reconnect--you need enough time for that process to complete before it starts uploading.

If you wait until you get the error it will be too late.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

it may be a computer/os/cable combination issue
Possibly, but I've used multiple cables on 3 OSs on 2 computers. It only works consistently with Ubuntu. The Windows machines have inconsistent device recognition, but I can now get it to work if I fuss with it.

BTW, the error message from AVRDUDE on Ubuntu is much more informative ("connection timeout") than Windows (paraphrasing: "eeeeeK! screwup number blah blah! your device is trashed!").

Thanks for sticking with us on this.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Virgil_Machine wrote:
it may be a computer/os/cable combination issue
Possibly, but I've used multiple cables on 3 OSs on 2 computers. It only works consistently with Ubuntu. The Windows machines have inconsistent device recognition, but I can now get it to work if I fuss with it.

BTW, the error message from AVRDUDE on Ubuntu is much more informative ("connection timeout") than Windows (paraphrasing: "eeeeeK! screwup number blah blah! your device is trashed!").

Thanks for sticking with us on this.
Thx, we'll keep an eye on it. If the pro trinket is/are not working out for you, please email support@adafruit to get a full refund! An Arduino Micro w/o Headers is similar size/shape/capability and may be a good alternative :)

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

When I hit the reset button during my upload, the code works, but if I hit the reset button or unplug it, it goes back the the blink sketch

adafruit_support_rick

It can't go back to blink. Once you upload new code, blink is completely overwritten.
When you hit reset, it goes back into the bootloader, which blinks and pulses the LED for a few seconds.

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

Chasirish: it takes a little while to initialize, and it blinks during that process. This device is teaching me patience, but it's worth it

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

Oh, ok, but how do I keep my code on it?

Virgil_Machine

Post by Virgil_Machine »

Once its uploaded it stays until you upload something else. If its really been wiped somehow, try uploading again. But...it should be there...are you giving it enough time?

chasirish

Post by chasirish »

I'm pretty sure I am. It's for an audio visualizer, so I tested it to music and the leds flashed accordingly. I then unplugged it, left and when I came back later to plug it in, it lost the code

adafruit_support_rick

chasirish wrote:I'm pretty sure I am. It's for an audio visualizer, so I tested it to music and the leds flashed accordingly. I then unplugged it, left and when I came back later to plug it in, it lost the code
That really can't happen. The code is loaded into flash memory - the same stuff used on flash drives. It just can't go away like that.
When you plug it back in, you'll have to wait for 10 seconds or so before your code will start executing - it won't start up right away.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”