Where to Find Payphones?

Talk about the videos and projects (SIM reader, payphones...)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bored_kid

Where to Find Payphones?

Post by bored_kid »

Anybody know a good location to look to find retired payphones? I found some refurbished ones for around $350, but that seems a little pricey. My local phone company is Verizon and I have no idea who to contact there to find out about payphones.

Ideas are much appreciated...

haxor

Post by haxor »

Best place I've found is ebay. Watch out shipping costs as these beasts weigh 40+ lbs. I have been able to acquire several for $40-$85 including shipping, and one "full of coins, no keys" for$99 total. It was spraypainted gold. But that's another story...

If you need any further pointers, I'll offer my best advice.

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

Can you suggest any particular models? I would love to get a payphone and I am really having trouble understanding what the different models mean.

(its like trying to buy a used car when you have never driven before, Really could use good suggestions on models and normal price-ranges)

BTW you did a great job on the video, Please keep them comming

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

Is this a good one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Payphone-1970-1980- ... dZViewItem

seems like the one in the video but seems on the pricey side.

uberscientist

Post by uberscientist »

justin6735 wrote:Is this a good one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Payphone-1970-1980- ... dZViewItem

seems like the one in the video but seems on the pricey side.
and its modified for home use

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

I contacted the seller and he says:

The Totalizer and a relay have been removed during the modification to let it work on the home phone line.

Why do they take these out?

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

Does anyone have any info on the types of pay phones that are out there?

I see ones with the coin shoot on the left and others with it on the right.

Any help would be great.

TelcoDude

Post by TelcoDude »

justin6735 wrote:Does anyone have any info on the types of pay phones that are out there?

I see ones with the coin shoot on the left and others with it on the right.

Any help would be great.
Try here: http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-payphones.html

Great site for those of us that are interested.

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

So I found one and bought one for 60 $ the issue is it is newer than the one listed in the video.

Its coin validator is all plastic and has a ribbon cable coming from it.

The ribbon connector goes to a control board that has a lot of IC's and a few dip switch controls.

Here is my question.... how can I find this phones model number?

I haven't found it yet inside or out. Is there a place where I can look at a library of pictures and duduce the model?

TelcoDude

Post by TelcoDude »

justin6735 wrote:So I found one and bought one for 60 $ the issue is it is newer than the one listed in the video.

Its coin validator is all plastic and has a ribbon cable coming from it.

The ribbon connector goes to a control board that has a lot of IC's and a few dip switch controls.

Here is my question.... how can I find this phones model number?

I haven't found it yet inside or out. Is there a place where I can look at a library of pictures and duduce the model?
From my experience, if the coin validator is plastic, then it's probably not a Bell System payphone. There are a couple of major manufacturers of these units. Can you post a picture of the beast?

I'll dig around the web some more and try and find some example shots you might could use.

Just askin', but what are the order of the coin chute, coin return lever, etc. across the top of the machine, from left to right... I MIGHT have the one you're talking about in my garage - the damn thing's never worked! Bah!

:)

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

I dont know what you mean "from left to right"?

The coin shoot is on the left side, it doesn't have a bell logo but on the coin return it says it is made by western bell.

I didnt spend that much on it but the hardest part is getting my wife to let me buy another one.

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

here are some pics of it... let me know what you think

http://picasaweb.google.com/justin6/PayPhone

jdogherman

Post by jdogherman »

any one have any ideas?

ticom

Re: Where to Find Payphones?

Post by ticom »

I would start by checking local antique stores that specialize in furnishings, old building restoration/wrecking, and scrap metal/surplus dealers. All of these places will get payphones, and it'll probably be a pre-1990 Telco Western Electric or GTE model (meaning not a COCOT) that you can do something with, and not have to bypass a whole bunch of electronics. If you live in the Hudson Valley, NY region, or are otherwise within easy travel distance of Stormville, NY, go check out the Stormville Airport Antiques Flea Market. There are always a couple vendors there that have old payphones.

Any DTF (Dial-Tone First) Telco payphone than ran off ACTS will hook right into a residential POTS line and work with no modifications whatsoever. You can even get the coin collect/return relay to work off of your ring voltage. COCOTS are a different story because they didn't have a Telco switch to handle coin service and had to do it all in the phone. Plug a COCOT into a phone line and it'll ask you for money when you try to make a call. Not a problem if you're going to gut the insides, but be aware and pay accordingly. How can you tell the difference? Look at some of the old coin services BSPs, and note what the inside of a Telco payphone looks like. Anything more complicated than a coin slot and hybrid box, and you're probably looking at a COCOT.

ticom

Re:

Post by ticom »

justin6735 wrote:here are some pics of it... let me know what you think
http://picasaweb.google.com/justin6/PayPhone
It has a Mars coin slot in it, so it's definitely a later model payphone, and an electronics module labeled "line guard" (?). Looks like someone refurbished a Western Electric phone into a COCOT.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Citizen Engineer (closed)”